Jake's Kindling Thread

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I can finally make this thread! Yesterday (June 4) Snow (broken chocolate Havana) had her second litter. 5 little ones, 1 broken black, 2 broken chocolate, and 2 solid black. She gave birth right on day 31, which she did last time.

2u9tj44.jpg

Then today (June 5), I went out to check on Snow and the babies as well as three other does who are due. Well, one had pulled a whole nest of fur, but had nothing, so I expected them to be born today. Went out four hours later and Aida (chocolate Havana) gave birth to her first litter! She had 7! Biggest litter I've had so far. 6 chocolate and 1 black, all solid. She also gave birth on day 31.

kb2l3a.jpg

This has been some of the best couple of days. I got two does left to kindle and day 31 is Sunday, so just gotta get through two 9-hour shifts this weekend and I should have babies!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: Aida only had 7, miscounted. Already changed in paragraph.

Last edited:

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It' been awhile since I've been on here.

To catch you up on what's happened:
On June 7 at about 8:30, another doe gave birth. She had 2, but they were dead when I found them (first time mom). One had been punctured in the stomach, the other was (in my words) a baby hippo. 3 times the normal size and full of liquid. It was really weird, first time I've ever seen it.

On some more bad news, 3 of Aida's kits died due to escaping the nest box and chilling. On the plus side, my mom saved a fourth one that had escaped and threw it in with Snow where it is thriving, but still smaller than the rest. Also, my miscount was a miscount, so Aida really did have 8 babies.

So, if you're keeping track, Snow kindled 5 and added a foster so she is caring for 6 now. Aida kindled 8, lost 3 to chill and 1 to fostering so she is caring for 4. All are fat and healthy. And Snow's babies have finally opened their eyes!

mikiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It' been awhile since I've been on here.

To catch you up on what's happened:
On June 7 at about 8:30, another doe gave birth. She had 2, but they were dead when I found them (first time mom). One had been punctured in the stomach, the other was (in my words) a baby hippo. 3 times the normal size and full of liquid. It was really weird, first time I've ever seen it.

The "hippo" baby is what they term a water baby, the medical term is "anasarca" or generalised edema (swelling) https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Anasarca
It happens a lot in puppies.
I'm sorry for your losses :hugs

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you mikiz for the information.

So, for some updates. Out of the 10 kits that survived after the growing fur (all 10 made it to 4 months), I retained 3. 1 black buck, 1 chocolate buck, and 1 doe. Not sure who the better buck is, and not sure which chocolate I want to keep. So I'm letting them all grow up a bit more (they'll be 6 months (senior show age) in 2 months) so I can get a better idea of who has the most potential, show and breeding wise.

At a local-ish show (45 minute drive) I got Best Opposite of Breed (BOSB) in Shows A and B with the same chocolate doe, so she has definitely proven her worth to me (already knew she was good, just wasn't sure how good). Picked up a new doe while I was there; I love her! Amazing type, great fur, just needs to grow up (currently 4 months).

At a very much not local show (3 hour drive) I picked up another doe that is probably the best in my barn now (but she has to grow up to (5 months)). She got me BOB and into BIS for youth, but didn't get it (I'm still happy, though).

Anyways, back to the reason this thread exists.

Back in May, I picked up a blue doe. This is the first blue doe in my area in quite some time. Well, this morning (or last night) she kindled! She had 6 black kits who all seem to be doing fine. This is her first litter and I honestly expected to find one dead (we are getting highs of about 50 degrees and lows of 30 degrees right now). She was bred to a black (who also carries chocolate), so these babies carry some colorful backgrounds and will hopefully get me lilacs within another 2 generations.

Without further ado, the babies!
r5PuRLZ.jpg

ZoHYpdE.jpg

mikiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congrats on the wins at show!
Glad to hear the others are all doing well, and YAY BABIES :D

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I kept rabbits many years ago. I remember the excitement over the nest full of babies. I love seeing the pictures you posted, the babies are so cute! Congrats on the fine litters!