Jake's Kindling Thread

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you everyone!

No new pictures today, but some good news. The new mom had her babies yesterday morning! She had two live and one DOA. Looks like a hippo (long, watery, just not formed right), I've had it happen once before. They're fat little babies and she's doing great so far.
Another doe gave birth later in the day and had 6. I've had issues with this doe before, but she's doing good so far.
Now I'm just waiting on one more. Today is Day 29 for her so I'm expecting them on Wednesday sometime.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Good that things are going smoothly. Gotta love it when things go as intended. Good luck with the next batch.

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you @Hens and Roos and @Latestarter

Well, things have sadly hit a bump now. I've lost 3 older kits due to getting chilled. They were outside the cages on the floor. Tried to revive one but it was gone.

And then some good news tied to bad news. I got my last litter for this round! She had 8, but 3 were dead when I found them. 1 was outside the box on the wire and 2 seemed to have been squished inside the box.

Fostered a couple kits from one litter to my litter of 2. They were eating a bit too much, so by adding a couple more I'm hoping to avoid that.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a shame that you lost some... Just a freak occurrence or maybe a new mom who didn't know any better? Do you keep records of this stuff for future reference so if it is a habitually bad mom you can eliminate her from your breeding stock? Nice that you were able to foster a few... kinda even out the load on the moms and provide better care for all the kits.

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And we have eyes open!

iwjhi9.jpg