Jenny or Great Pyr?

foreverblu

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm still in search of a guardian to watch over my Nigerians. I have done research on both the Great Pyr and Jennys, but was wanting some feedback from all of you on what you have and the pros and cons of them. I have been corresponding with a few Great Pyr rescues and also have the opportunity to get a Jenny. I just want to be able to make the best decision possible...my babies mean the world to me. I appreciate all of your help!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I have seen plenty of posts and even personally a donkey being aggressive with their charges.

Of course you could have the same happen with an improperly trained Pyr.

You should look at the Pros and Cons of each type of guardian and weigh them with your individual plans to decide which will work the best for you. Once you decide on a type then the hunt is on for the individual...they are not all created equal.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:pop ill be watching this to see what the votes are. i wish i could find a jenny around here, only jacks and i have come to learn they dont do the job.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
I would go with a Donkey, don't get me wrong I LOVE dogs and have some Guard dogs but Dogs require training and extra treatment. While a Donkey you can just feed it hay with the rest of the herd. My dogs are used to guard the property but in a pinch they can be herd guardians as they are use to the animals and extremely well trained, I work with them everyday just to keep them up on their duties.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
foreverblu said:
Hi everyone! I'm still in search of a guardian to watch over my Nigerians. I have done research on both the Great Pyr and Jennys, but was wanting some feedback from all of you on what you have and the pros and cons of them. I have been corresponding with a few Great Pyr rescues and also have the opportunity to get a Jenny. I just want to be able to make the best decision possible...my babies mean the world to me. I appreciate all of your help!
i would get a big old fuzzy llama

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
manybirds said:
foreverblu said:
foreverblu- i dont mean to hijack here, im just wondering if it matters the sex of the llama like it does with the donkeys?

foreverblu

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Around these parts after the drought they are giving jenny's and foals away free. Some people in the area have so many they want you to come pick them up. My fear has been will they hurt the young goats? I would consider a Llama or Alpaca I just would have to do a lot of research because I know little about them.

Keep the suggestions coming my herd family :D

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
dwbonfire said:
manybirds said:
foreverblu said:
foreverblu- i dont mean to hijack here, im just wondering if it matters the sex of the llama like it does with the donkeys?
I havn't had a llama before but I here geldings r best because they're not as moody as females

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
LLama geldings make the best guardians. Intact males have killed female sheep before.

I would much rather have a LGD than a donkey. I know people who've lost dogs, goat kids, and chickens to donkeys. Yes, you might to an untrained / unsupervised dog...but you will never 'train' a donkey not to kill something. A dog, you can train / wait for it to mature.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
well, we have both. a jenny donkey that runs the pasture surrounding the goat pasture with a couple of ponies. we still lost goats to predator.
we got a neutered male great pyreneese, 2yr old, had been with goats, but dug out of the guys fences and knocked his kids down by jumping on them. my goats were petrified of him, even though he just lay down in their lot and watched them, so just let him run loose around the farm.still lost 1 goat to a predator, however i think he was barking at the predator at 4 am when hubby went to work, but he did not investigate.
we then built a more secure pen near the house with a radio playing, and keep the goats there at night with free choice hay (round bale). have not lost a goat since implementing this.
oh and we got another pyreneese, a spayed female. have to keep her in a pen or on a chain, she wanders off and doesn't come home, so just move her around, guess her barking can't hurt anything. i still cannot bring myself to put a dog in the goat pasture. my male is 2 yrs old, but still full of energy, chasing chickens just to watch them fly.
sometimes you must made adjustments, not expect any animal to protect another.

Latest posts