Jersey bull question

redtailgal

Reaction score
That holstein would have never made it to the sale barn.

The neighbors had a holstein bull that was crazy or posessed or SOMETHING. He would bellow at cars going down the road, the honk of a horn would put him into a fury, and Heaven help any person who dared walk in (Or even near) the pasture.

That particular bull died suddenly one evening.

We had a block party to celebrate.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Bulls can be dangerous and must know who's the boss but to assume all are dangerous, I believe is false. 3 of my 4 bulls I wouldn't play around with but the one I have is much more gentle than the others. He is a great sire and puts the other bulls or rowdy cows in their place but has never hurt me intentionally.
My Great Grandpa had a similar bull that was a Simmental but I'm not saying by any means a bull should be a pet.

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
77 I can scratch one of our bulls on the back, butt and head, but I always leave an escape area open. Do I trust him 100%? Nope.
Too many people get used to "tame" animals and that is what gets them in the end.

Nothing will get you moving faster then a 1200# plus bull with his head down picking up speed heading straight for you. If I had had a gun he would have been stopped there.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
herfrds said:
77 I can scratch one of our bulls on the back, butt and head, but I always leave an escape area open. Do I trust him 100%? Nope.
Too many people get used to "tame" animals and that is what gets them in the end.

Nothing will get you moving faster then a 1200# plus bull with his head down picking up speed heading straight for you. If I had had a gun he would have been stopped there.
Never said I trusted him 100% and if he decided to charge me I would become the FLASH, lol. I have run from previous bulls. Thats why farming is an adventure.

Now when a Goat charges me I just stand firm and present the shock cane, but that goat is gone now.

Papa Bear

Just born
Reaction score
I have been to three funerals in 30 years from bad bulls. These were experienced dairy families that grew up milking cows. I have worked on many, many dairies over the years and far and away the worst bull stories were from the Jersey dairies. PLEASE consider making your bull into a steer before he reaches puberty. AI is the safest way to go. Best of luck....

lilcritters

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry Jerseys are the worst for attitude when left as bulls.... We just took one to the big house. We had to keep him in a metal corral cause he tore EVERYTHING up with his horns.... One thing you DONT DO is pet them on the head. I worked at a dairy and we had a show bull and he got mean cause the kids would rough house and shove him around at his head... soon he took a kid down....I remember one bull at the dairy (holsteins) that got the old man down that worked there. he was immediatley taken to the barn. Bulls just do not make good "pets"

April

Mike Fronczak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our first two cattle were a Jersey & a Jersey/Holstein steers. Even though they were steers the Jersey had a look in his eye, I never turned my back to him. I figured it was just normal with cattle. They are both in the freezer. I now have Highlands none have that wild look in their eyes, doesn't mean I don't use caution around them, but they seem more calm. The two steers got out a few times, the highlands have yet to, they came off the trailer straight to pasture with only a 3 month old steer sliding under the fence, then right back next to mom.

Icp7147

Just born
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
So we have this little Jersey bullock that we're bottle raising and I LOVE this cow. He was sick when we got him and we've nursed him through that and he's become this wonderful pet who loves scritches and rubbing and his food of course. I work with him everyday handling him, lifting his feet, rubbing my hands all over him and I'm going to start halter training him as soon as he grows into his halter. Now someone needs to pat me on the head and tell me some stories about gentle Jersey bulls because we all know that Jersey bulls are responsible for more injuries at meat processing plants than all the other breeds put together. Even my cow mentor who only raises Jerseys tells me I'm living in a fantasy world if I think this cow will ever be anything more than hamburger though I want him for breeding purposes. Can someone tell me it's possible to raise a bull who isn't a danger to my children or give me tips on how to teach him now while he's small how to be a gentle boy when he grows up?
I work on a dairy farm. we milk over 225 cows mostly holstiens, I have a few jerseys. about 5 years ago we had alot of calving trouble. we breed all are heifers to holstein bulls. we tried a jersey bull. I bought him from a Uncle a retired jersey breeder. He was a little over a year old when I bought him. my two little cousins haltered him from when he was a baby. The only reason we got rid of him was because his daughters became breeding age. The cattle dealer was shocked when he came to pick him up and i went and got a halter and led this 3 and a half year old Jersey bull onto the trailer. How ever a few weeks later i asked the cattle dealer how the bull was doing and he told me he had to pick him up because the farmer he sold him to called him. The Bull turned Ugly. No reason why. Dairy bulls always turn mean. It is not are they going to turn mean? Its when are they going to turn mean? My Advice Steer him

Reaction score
That's interesting...I read a book about raising calves and it instructed to halter the little ones to train them not to head-butt when drinking milk. I am still in the training process. My observation so far is that they're very stubborn animals. Once you do physically what they (head-bump) they become indignant, stare into space and stop eating.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH @Sonia Quijada-Ramberger The thread you posted to was a "dead" thread having last seen a post almost 5 years ago. Several of the folks who posted here are still active members though. I hope you'll take a moment and do a brief introduction in the new member section so we can give you a proper welcome! We do have some good, active, cow/cattle people here on the site and can always use more. Please make yourself at home and browse around the threads. I look forward to reading your posts. :D

Latest posts