JHP Homestead’s Journal

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Luckily you found out about the trailer issues before you had all the peastone loaded up.
Glad you were able to get it fixed and got the stone.
Yeah definitely! I like to think the leaf spring would have just bounced a bit where it touches the frame if the connection broke but I don’t know anything about trailer suspension/axles/whatever so I don’t know what bad stuff could have happened :hu Probably for the best, otherwise I’ll just worry.

Your rabbits are very cute!
Thank you!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks! Your journal is next on my list to read, once I get through CntryBoy777’s.
Hopefully ya won't be bored to tears....:lol:....and yeh, been thru your neighborhood up there, too!!....made deliveries in Holland, Edwardsburg, Grand Rapids amongst others....and I even have a petosky stone....:).....my wife, Joyce, is from Cadillac and Gaylord areas....:cool:

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Whew, it’s been awhile since I posted here. We finished putting in the water/electricity out to the rabbitry and chicken coop. Also painted the house and spent several days/weeks cutting our wood for the winter.

I finally got some blue baby rabbits out of my blue buck! One of my does apparently carries the blue gene. I am pretty excited about that.
84DDA76F-9755-418C-B96E-1C5508FE2E76.jpeg

Our cow, Rosie, calved last Saturday. We’ve only had a couple calves, so I’m still a novice, but this calf is really spunky. Sadie, last years calf, was really calm and we could walk up to her no problem until she was a couple weeks old. This calf was brand new and still jumped up and tried to run off when I walked up to it. So I don’t know if it’s a bull or heifer yet.
DDA89DB8-27F9-4DEB-84BA-08B21D0E0DC5.jpeg

And my 7 month old DD just woke up, so I guess that’s it for now :)

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Happy New Year!

We had another calf born December 31st at 10pm. This calf is from the heifer that has been due anytime for the last 6 months, so I’m really glad she finally calved. Another heifer calf, which means we’re 4 for 4 on heifer calves. Hopefully at least one of the 3 more recent ones born will end up a decent milk cow. That’s the plan anyways.
AEA29437-6281-4315-B006-D91C975B7476.jpeg

DH fixed the walls of our leanto in the cow pasture that the bull knocked down several months ago. He cut 1x10 boards with his chainsaw mill and put them up where the bull had knocked the cheap OSB down. You can see them in the picture of the calf above.

Other than that, I don’t think we’ve had much homestead related stuff going on. Butchered a couple pigs just before Christmas, but they weren’t for us, we just did the cutting up and what not. They were a couple of the Herefords that we had born here and were orphaned though, so it was good to see how well they dressed out. They were 250 and 240 pounds live and dressed out to 190 and 180, respectively. The meat looked really good too, so we’re happy with that. I didn’t get any pictures of the two we did, but we still have one left that we’re going to butcher for my in-laws in another month or so. I’ll try to remember to get pictures of him beforehand.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
New Hereford calves are so cute. 4 heifers! That is great. I would love pictures of your Hereford hogs. I finally found some around here and raised 2 Hereford hog feeder pigs in 2018. They finished out nicely and were to pretty to look at while we raised them LOL

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
New Hereford calves are so cute. 4 heifers! That is great. I would love pictures of your Hereford hogs. I finally found some around here and raised 2 Hereford hog feeder pigs in 2018. They finished out nicely and were to pretty to look at while we raised them LOL
I love the look of the Herefords too. We started with the Hereford cow, so when we decided to get a breeder pig, I thought it’d be fun to get a Hereford, so then we had Hereford cows and Hereford hogs.

DH is pretty turned off from the Hereford hogs after our bad farrowing experience though, so I don’t think we’ll get another Hereford when we decide to get another sow.

Here’s a picture of the feeder that we still have:
0ED454A1-34B2-4E44-B725-D764A04B1CC1.jpeg

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is quite the "calving window!" I take it you didn't know exactly when she was bred. Congrats on the 4 for 4. Maybe they will ALL be excellent milkers.
Yeah, she was with a bull from June 2018 until May 2019. I have no idea why she didn’t calve several months ago. We didn’t pregnancy test her until this fall and we were going to sell or butcher her if she was open, but luckily for her she wasn’t.

Haha, I think DH is afraid I’ll want to keep and milk all of them. We don’t have the pasture for that though, so we’ll have to make some decisions once these two get older.