JHP Homestead’s Journal

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Good job on warming them up. I hope the momma steps up and takes care of them.
Thanks! They look to be doing ok this morning, although I’m not 100% sure she’s nursing them. The nesting box looked a little rearranged though, so I think she went in there at least.

I wonder if she's out of sorts since she isn't in her regular housing.
I didn’t bring her in with the kits, so her housing was the same. I did move a couple other rabbits around a few weeks ago, so she now has a buck in the next cage. I’m wondering if maybe it’s the close proximity of the buck, combined with birthing hormones, or something. I’ve had other does next to bucks during birthing before with no issues, but he’s acting pretty stirred up too, so I don’t know. She isn’t bleeding anymore and got herself all cleaned up, so I think she’s ok health-wise.

My Californian doe kindled this morning. She only had 4, so I should be able to foster at least a few of Yennifer’s kits over if it turns out she isn’t feeding them. One more rabbit due tomorrow, then our winter kindling will be all done!

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Rabbits are doing good. My 3rd and final doe to kindle had at least 5.

We finally got around to getting the tractor chains put on. Of course, it was after we got 4 inches of slippery snow with the tractor parked several hundred feet and down a steep hill from the pole barn :he

20 minutes later, we got the tractor up the hill by using the backhoe to push it.

Once we got the chains on, we tested them out by skidding some logs out of the woods for DH to mill into boards for our barn. The chains worked great as usual, its amazing how much extra traction they provide.

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What size tractor and are the chains on the front or rear?
It’s a 30 HP Branson tractor. It’s 4wd but we only got chains for the rear. We just got them last year, after 2 years of struggling to put hay out and get wood in the winter. They are amazing.
510C8EAA-2833-461D-8F91-98F43D0E607E.jpeg

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @JHP Homestead,

I am really glad that they are working for you. On the YouTube channel GP Outdoors, Gordan, who is in central Ontario, bought chains for his tractor as well (a Kubota BX26 I think). He loves his as well. There was a steep part of his driveway that he could not get up, even in 4WD, when he tried to clear the snow. Now he has no problems. I wonder if @MtViking has been able to clear his driveway with just a 2WD tractor.

Senile Texas Aggie

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just got them last year, after 2 years of struggling to put hay out and get wood in the winter. They are amazing.
Similar frame and tire size to my 34 HP Mahindra. How do you even get that much chain laid out and attached to the big back wheels? How much do they weigh? I have a hard enough time getting the chains on my little garden tractor tight. Also, what brand are they? They look like they have nice "spikes" to move on ice. I would think a set on the front would be good for steering.

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Similar frame and tire size to my 34 HP Mahindra. How do you even get that much chain laid out and attached to the big back wheels? How much do they weigh? I have a hard enough time getting the chains on my little garden tractor tight. Also, what brand are they? They look like they have nice "spikes" to move on ice. I would think a set on the front would be good for steering.
The chains weigh about 75# each. We put them on by laying them out, then lifting one end to the top of the rear tire from behind and tying it on with a string through the rim. Then just drive forward real slow and let the tractor pull the chain all the way around the tire.

They’re hard for me to lift and move around, but I can manage if I have to. DH is a lot stronger, so he usually gets the pleasure of moving the chains around and lifting one end onto the tire.

The chains are Aquiline Talons Tractor chains We bought them from https://www.midwesttraction.com/

Front chains would be helpful, especially for steering. Sometimes it’s really hard to turn in the snow and ice. I dunno if we’ll buy any for the front though, maybe some cheaper ones. The talons are about the best we could find, and had the price tag to go with it.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It’s a 30 HP Branson tractor. It’s 4wd but we only got chains for the rear. We just got them last year, after 2 years of struggling to put hay out and get wood in the winter. They are amazing.
View attachment 69296
M
i own basically the same tractor the Branson 2910. Same everything they just give a little more fuel to it so it gets 1 more hp then it’s all new and improved. :yesss:

Latest posts