Jodief100--- random stuff and BIG news

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
Northern Kentucky, 25 miles south of the Ohio border where Cincinnati is. Cold winters, the snow usually sticks around for a few days and then leaves. Hot summers, moderately humid.

2. How many people are in your family?
Dearest Hubby and his Boy, every other weekend. I wish we could have him full time.

3. How would you define your farm?
Market meat goats, chickens, laying hens and extra roos for the freezer. We added turkeys this year.

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?

I would like to build the mobile hen house I drew plans on and finish my plans for the self-watering goat shelter and build some of those. Right now we are building a garage/workshop and plain old regular goat shelters.

5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building?

Hen, house, shelters, pens and right now helping with the garage.

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?

It has been a long time but I used to do all but aluminum.

7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?

My aunt had a horse farm and I loved spending time out there. I just wanted a place of my own where I could take care of myself and my family. I love the animals and not having neighbors.

8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?

Hobby for now. Hubby would love to drop to part time if we could ever get to that point wher we can make enough to do it.

9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?

I know chickens, am pretty good with goats. I want to learn about pigs and cows. Someday I want a horse.

10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?

Confinement operation, large scale crops.

11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?

Yes

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?

In a good book, up in the barn with the goats, out in the pasture with my hens and the guineas.

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?

Tractor, yes. Semi, no. I would love to learn.

14. Do you make crafts or useful items?

Not as much as I would like to. I sew, crochet, do paper crafts. I want to learn how to knit and quilt.

15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at?

We are out in the county and can have anything we want. Anything classified wild (dear, ostrich, zebras) and we are required to have 9 fences.

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?

I worked in the tool room at my Grandaddys shop when I was 15, hubby designs lathes for a living. I can run a lathe, milling center, drill press and grinder, laser, water jet, EDM and a few more I cant think of right now. I can program a CNC but prefer to run the manual ones.

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?

I do but I never seem to have time. I like to grow veggies and herbs.

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?

We have a pond stocked with small mouth. We use whatever bait we find under the rocks.

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?

32 acres in the county. There is additional 4 for sale adjoining that we would really like to buy but cant.

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed?
Jack of all trades and Master of none. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering that I use for my real job. I have a degree in Biology I got when I thought I wanted to go into the health professions. Turns out I am better with machines than people.

21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?

Goats and chickens, adding turkeys.

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?

Common Sense and logical thinking. I think a lot of people could benefit from a little instruction.

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?

A little but Hubby is much better than I so I leave it to him.

24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?

I would like to see some more studies done. I think there is great potential but nothing is proven. I have seen some good research on copper and worms so I do use that.

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?

I loved it out west, eastern Oregon and Washington are nice. Nowhere near the cities.

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?

We use a fireplace insert in the winter for heat.

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?

My favorite was always GI Joe, a group of regular guys who work hard and do their best. No superpowers, just everyone contributing in their own way. I like how Spiderman reminds us that with great power comes great responsibility.

28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?

Some, most think I am nuts.

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?

I love to cook but it is hard with just the two of us most of the time. I prefer what I grow myself. Second best is what someone locally grew.

30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?
When our first goat babies were born. They were so cute and I just couldnt wait to play with them.
My uncle was trampled by a horse in the rodeo when I was 8. He was in traction for 6 months.

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?

I hunt deer and want to try turkey. One of the boys will bring me a rabbit every now and then.

32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?
Stubborn and a willingness to try anything. I read a lot and try to educate myself the best I can.

33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?

I process the chickens and have the big animals done. I want to learn how myself. I can, freeze and dry stuff.

34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm?

We have a few little solar power things like the fence chargers. Looked into solar panels- way too much $$$$.

35 What is on your to do list?

Building the garage, building the hen house, building goat shelters. Sleep.

36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?

No and yes

37. In what do you trust?

Me and Hubby. That the weather won't coperate and that hard work will meet oppotunity eventualy- if we keep trying.

38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?

I do it to save and because I enjoy it.

39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits

I like animals more than most people. I have learned they are not people and you cant treat them like they are. They respond by instinct and do not think things out and consider consequences. Man is the one animal that cannot be tamed.

Last edited:

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
38. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits

I like animals more than most people. I have learned they are not people and you cant treat them like they are. They respond by instinct and do not think things out and consider consequences. Man is the one animal that cannot be tamed

Could you tell my wife that last sentence....:bow, PLEASE...:lol:.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?

Common Sense and logical thinking. I think a lot of people could benefit from a little instruction.
Ain't that the truth!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday I had some of my birds processed. They all look wonderful. The two turkeys are 15 and 18 1/2 lbs and just look beautiful in my fridge. I processed 10 RIR roosters and they look good. They are small but it is nice to have a smaller bird for our little family. I wanted to post pictures the turkeys looked so good but hubby left the camera at work.

Diez still has the snotty nose/eyes thing going on. The nose seems to be getting better. My biggest concern right now is if he is getting enough to eat. He won't eat his grain at all. He has been up and walking around but I haven't seen him graze. I gave him some Nutra drench this morning and B12 the last two nights. I hope that gets him going. Dang Boer bucks! I have never owned one that wasn't trouble.

Sold all my laying hens for the season and am still getting calls. Need to do more next year. Got a call for meat goats too and I don't have any big enough. The guy asked if I would hold one for him for a few weeks. I said not without a deposit. He wasn't happy about that, was I out of line?

It is raining still. That cold light drizzle we have had for 4 days straight. I had to bring the goats back to the barn for a few days. We haven't had rain for a month and then we get this? We need a good solid downpour for about a day and then sun. My hay guy only got a small second cutting and is not sure about a third. At least it is not as bad as last year. Count my blessings and go on.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I would not hold an animal without deposit either. Too many times people disappear at the last minute. If they are serious they will gladly do a deposit.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with asking for a deposit. I've done it with people wanting all natural sides of beef and had to wait a few months and have learned to only deal with local peeps.
Nice turkey sizes though.

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The guy asked if I would hold one for him for a few weeks. I said not without a deposit. He wasn't happy about that, was I out of line?
Absolutely not! It's one thing if you didn't care if the goat sold or not, but if it is a potential sale, a deposit is more than reasonable to ask. And make that a "non-refundable" deposit.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Goatherd said:
The guy asked if I would hold one for him for a few weeks. I said not without a deposit. He wasn't happy about that, was I out of line?
Absolutely not! It's one thing if you didn't care if the goat sold or not, but if it is a potential sale, a deposit is more than reasonable to ask. And make that a "non-refundable" deposit.
x2!

Please do post pics of the turkeys if you can before you eat them :) We'll be processing our first turkeys soon and I'd like to "compare"

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I went and took some random pictures last night. I thought y'all might like to see our little piece of heaven.

The goat barn. I didn't get any pics of the fenced fields because it was getting too dark but here is the barn. Snowy is there on patrol. The goats are out for the evening.
1751_barn.jpg

Not for long, I rang the dinner bell and here they all came!
1751_dinner_bell.jpg

Here is the chicken pen. I sold most of my birds so I will be taking it down soon and moving the girls to the laying house.
1751_chicken_pens.jpg

Our creek. Thsi runs across the middle of our property along the road. It isn't runnign right now due to lack of rain but there is still some large pools. We have blue heron come down and fish out of it, right in front of the house!
1751_creek.jpg

The back field where I have the electronet set up for daytime grazing right now.
1751_back_field.jpg

And the view off my front porch. The creek is down below there and the road behind it. We own that wooded hill that goes up the other side.
1751_front_yard.jpg

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh boy, I'd forgotten how beautiful Kentucky is!! I used to live in Paducah and Louisville, many moons ago.

You have a fantastic place. Love the creek, (er crik) and the goats.

Thanks for the pictures. I love to look at other folks spreads.

We are all so fortunate to live in such a beautiful and diverse country......

DonnaBelle