Jodief100--- random stuff and BIG news

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Nope no other source of water except for snow and gallons of water at the store, lol. Ive spent the last hour melting snow on the stovetop for my chicks. At least you are fortunate enough to have a creek!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nope no other source of water except for snow and gallons of water at the store, lol. Ive spent the last hour melting snow on the stovetop for my chicks. At least you are fortunate enough to have a creek!

I have a 36 gallon turkey fryer that has it's own propane burner. We had that going full blast melting snow. Our local Kroger has a station that you can bring in your own empty water jugs and get them refilled for a lot cheaper than buying full jugs of water. Maybe your local store has something? I wish you the best, I am very sorry. I know how difficult it is going to be. We would have been screwed without the creek. Right now we have 100 goats, eating hay. We also lost water to evaporation in the heated buckets and freezing in the unheated ones. The goats go through about 100 gallons a day. I had frozen buckets melting in my bathtub because we didn't want to loose the water.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I went out to take pictures of Nilla's babies and Trouble had two wet ones on the ground. It is a nice, sunny warm day so I let them be. If she hasn't brought them in by nightfall I will round them up then.

Here are Nilla's babies. The boy is brown, the girl is white.
View attachment 2548

Here is Trouble with her two little ones. I haven't checked the plumbing yet. If the mommas are getting them up and nursing, I don't like to mess with them. -EDITED both does!
View attachment 2549
Love the little wattles on the tan kid.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OK, I am Sooooooo behind here. Been busy busy busy.

P had twins on Feb 25th boy and a girl.
Zypher had a single boy, stillborn, small and underdeveloped on Feb 25th.
Big Mary had buck-doe twins on February 26th.
Coal had buck-doe twins on February 27th.
Bella had buck doe twins on March 6th. It was -7 degrees, the boy was frozen solid when I found them. Girl was fine. she is doing well.

Sold 7 4-H kids on March 7th.

Star had buck-doe twins on March 10th.
Petunia had buck-doe twins on March 12th.
Big red had two girls and a boy on March 12th.
Rusty had twin boys on March 13th.
Trouble had buck-doe twins on March 13th.
Nilla had buck-doe twins on March 14th.

For those keeping track: 37 boys, 26 girls, 7 losses. Not a great year but not a bad one.

6 does to go, I think. I have lost track somewhere.......

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have some pictures, not all of them.

star and her babies
star and babies.jpg

Mary and P babies
mary and P babies.jpg

This is either Mary's or P's- not sure.
baby standing.jpg

Twin to the previous one
baby in hay.jpg

Coal's babies
coal babies.jpg

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It has been a crazy few weeks. Lots of babies born. We got 8 inches of snow, subzero temps and then 60 degrees, all in a four day span. The river got high but didn't quite flood. It was eerie seeing the creek, frozen solid, right up to the edge of the bridge and all through the woods along the road.

Right now everything is a muck pit, ankle deep in mud.

My vet had asked me to do an informational seminar on goats at his horse health fair last Saturday. So I put together a display and some handouts on parasites, disease and pasture management. He really liked it and asked me to come back for his next one in the fall.

Oh, and my neighbor sent me this on Saturday. Picture of his cria, born Friday night.
cria.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just WOW!
Amazing how many babies and to make it through those temps and weather.
The losses are always sad regardless of the fact it is part of farming, still sorry you lost the ones you did.

I think it is great your vet had you out for a seminar! That is fantastic!

The cria... so cute!

Now, I have to ask... you did get a good number of twins here with this last round... were these does from the line you mentioned before? I know you were waiting to see what would pan out.