1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. On Jan. 1, 2017, antibiotic use on farms will become more restricted as a result of the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD). Learn more about calf nutrition supplements and calf health here!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official BYH Caption Contest - Pic by Sfogg
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Featured Thread: Orphaned Spanish goats
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Johnes...the death sentence.

Discussion in 'Natural and Organic Husbandry' started by cowgirlnit4christ, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Feb 8, 2014
    cowgirlnit4christ

cowgirlnit4christ Herd lurker

I have a 5 year old doe with Johnes. If I can't find something to help her, she will be going to slaughter along with the rest of my herd. Does anyone have any ideas? I am a strong believer in herbals and natural medicine, but I'm at a loss. Has anyone read this article? (scroll down for Johnes section)
    http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/turner/turner21.html
    Everybody else in my herd is going to slaughter except her and one other doe, the rest are wethers. If I could save these two I would, but I have put so much money into them already I'm just stuck :/ Any suggestions are welcome!!!

2. Feb 8, 2014
    elevan

elevan Critter Addict ♥ Moderator Moderator

I'm sorry you're going through this. I've not heard of any successful treatments for Johne's. I've heard of several methods that have been tried without success. On trying the treatment given in that link...I would be greatly concerned that the rumen would begin shutting down and then you'd have to deal with that problem as well.

3. Feb 8, 2014
    jodief100

jodief100 True BYH Addict

Johnes disease is a multi million dollar problem in the cattle industry. If there was a way to treat it, the cattle people would know and they don't. If it was a simple as some herbal cure, then it wouldn't be a multi million dollar issue.

I am very sorry you are going through this.

Johnes is a reportable disease. If you sell her for anything other than slaughter or knowing allow exposed animals off your farm you could be libel or even be fined.

SheepGirl and elevan like this.
  4. Apr 15, 2014
    Permajen

Permajen Just born

I'm sorry I'm answering this so late -- and I may not be speaking with any great authority. However in 'Natural Goat Care', Pat Coleby (well renowned down here in Aus) talks about a herd that became Johnes-free (after being diagnosed earlier) after mineral supplementation and changing pasture balance. The book doesn't say 'I can cure Johnes', so it isn't touting itself that way, but if there's any way to solve the Johnes issue then perhaps long term mineral rebalance might be the way, or part of it.

I also found Pat Coleby's advice in relation to raising sheep naturally very useful (and correct, e.g. in the case of copper-cobalt deficiency in my black lambs).

I can't seem to put up a URL to link to, but if you google 'Natural Goat Care' you should find it still in print. It's more relevant to Australian soils of course, but there's a ton of advice about minerals, and I suspect much of it will suit goat keepers anywhere.