Juggling act

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
All 5 cows and calves averting a little off, so I called the vet.
Maggie, just coming off heat from last 2 days, had a little bloody show this morning, but this afternoon, was excessive. Not an emergency, but vet insists having her checked out before breeding in July, and possibly skipping a year. Maggie also had puffy eyes and high respiration.
Lou and Yubie, also weepy puffy eyes, cough, and high respiration.
Dude worries me, he's showing signs of respiratory issues, though no cough or weepy eyes, but, he's twice had normal consistency YELLOW poop. And he's nursing normally, but off his feed.
Nuflor all around, including the bottle calf, who has been exposed given his proximity.
$231 so far. If nuflor doesn't kick it, gotta go more expensive. Hopefully this will be the end of my cattle woes for awhile.
Feels like im always going one step forward, 3 steps back.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm so sorry! Farm life is so hard sometimes. :hugs

I'm guessing you already know this, but it's normal for cows to have blood 1-2 days after a heat. I have a heifer who always has a good amount of blood two days after her heats. At first I was worried too.;)

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I wasn't worried, until my vet was. .. says is excessive amount of blood. ... Maggie lost her calf to dystocia Dec 18 th. She thinks its related, even though Maggie showed no other signs of complications. ...sigh. ....

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's bright red, not a red tinged mucus. And enough that is being smeared on her tail and rump, even making a little string. Maybe I can get a pic later.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Jeeze... if it's not one thing it's another... Sorry about your cattle woes. I hope you get it all straightened out.

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I found some pics (not an easy task)of metestrus on a cattle website, one of the cows was laying and had a good sized pool of blood under her (blood always looks like more than it is, you know)
Like, several tablespoons?
Doesn't look more than Maggie had, and was presented as normal, roof some pics showed only a smudge in the tail or rump, or a drop near the feces. Idk. Better safe than sorry I guess, but I think she maybe added a stress and worry that I didn't have to have. My phone is dead, but I'll go try to get a pic. ..

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's bright red, not a red tinged mucus. And enough that is being smeared on her tail and rump, even making a little string. Maybe I can get a pic later.

Yes, that's how Piper's is. Completely red, no mucous. And it's always smeared on her rump and tail.

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Know what? Not a drop of blood on her now, what, 2 hours later? Some dried on her tail, but really.
I think she'd just laid down and it poured out after pooling vaginally. She was laying down when we went out. Laying down now and nothing.

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Everyone ate dinner tonight, even dude, though still not as much as normal, maggies swollen eyes already much better,
Now there are wildfires. .... everywhere..... 6 fire trucks just passed by and stopped about a mile down the road. ... oh geesh. ... long night ahead keeping eyes peeled for any glowing embers in the fields.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
As if sick cows isn't enough, now you have to stay up all night to watch for fire! I hope the cows get ok, and fires don't start in your fields. Get some rest if you can!