Juliana pig

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Do any of you have Juliana pigs? I've been thinking of getting one. Do they get the size of a beagle? Do they do well with chickens and goats?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have a place in mind already? Have you seen the parents of said pigs? There are a lot of people selling Julianas or mini pigs that are not exactly that. Often they are kept to a small size due to a strict feeding regiment that basically starves them from getting bigger. Mini pigs get a lot bigger than people think!

As far as living with goats and chickens... I guess people have done it but I wouldn't. A pig is a pig. They don't "speak" goat. Goats butt, pigs bite. Hard. In my experience pigs don't generally do well with animals other than other pigs.

I know someone has had a better experience, I'm not saying it's impossible. Just what I've seen, and there is a pot belly/mini pig rescue in my town, and my husband has talked to the woman that runs it. Her pigs are mostly in the 200+lb range!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
The mini-pig market is a joke(most of the time). Now I'm not saying that there is no such thing as a true teacup/mini/micro pig, but the truth is it is mostly a scam. As mentioned above the pigs are starved so they stay cute and little. Not only that but the pigs are very pricey ranging anywhere for 800-1000+, and more than not that 20lb pig will turn into a 100+ lb pig in a year. I have seen some that stay small, but the truth is, unless you visit the parents it is very hard to tell. I did a lot of research on this topic because I was trying to pick an FFA project. Needless to say I stayed with sheep.

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Do you have a place in mind already? Have you seen the parents of said pigs? There are a lot of people selling Julianas or mini pigs that are not exactly that. Often they are kept to a small size due to a strict feeding regiment that basically starves them from getting bigger. Mini pigs get a lot bigger than people think!

As far as living with goats and chickens... I guess people have done it but I wouldn't. A pig is a pig. They don't "speak" goat. Goats butt, pigs bite. Hard. In my experience pigs don't generally do well with animals other than other pigs.

I know someone has had a better experience, I'm not saying it's impossible. Just what I've seen, and there is a pot belly/mini pig rescue in my town, and my husband has talked to the woman that runs it. Her pigs are mostly in the 200+lb range!
I do not have a place in mind yet. I've been doing lots of research. From what I understand is they do well as house pets, which would be fine, but also should have outside time. So I was hoping it could spend time with my goats. But I was reading some of the forums on here and people were talking about how mean pigs can be and that they will try to eat other animals?! So I was hoping to talk with somebody who actually has one, not just trying to sell me one, to see how they are as pets.

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The mini-pig market is a joke(most of the time). Now I'm not saying that there is no such thing as a true teacup/mini/micro pig, but the truth is it is mostly a scam. As mentioned above the pigs are starved so they stay cute and little. Not only that but the pigs are very pricey ranging anywhere for 800-1000+, and more than not that 20lb pig will turn into a 100+ lb pig in a year. I have seen some that stay small, but the truth is, unless you visit the parents it is very hard to tell. I did a lot of research on this topic because I was trying to pick an FFA project. Needless to say I stayed with sheep.
Yes, I've found the price ranges from $50-$1500. Obviously somebody's scamming with that. And how cruel to starve them to keep them small! The research I've done says they can get up to 45-60 pounds sometimes? And they do best as house pets? I guess if I proceed I definitely need to see the parents first.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I had a pot belly. My friends have a pot belly currently. Mine was OK for a while, she was fine with my older dog. When my daughter got old enough to walk and we got a second, more boisterous dog, my pot belly got mean. She was jealous of my daughter and she tried to bite me a few times. She tried to bite my puppy also. We had to rehome her. She's doing OK now but they don't trust her with their other animals. They don't have kids so they aren't as worried as I was.

My other friend has a pot belly that is a doll. He is the friendliest pig ever and wonderful with kids and dogs. However they tried to put him and their goats together (despite my warnings not to). Goat butted pig a few times, pig nearly took off the goats ear.

I believe Julianas are similar to pot bellies, not sure. Either way, pigs act like pigs. Lots of people keep them as pets and enjoy them. I would never trust a pig that much. Just me.

Agree with @luvmypets also. Even if you do see the parents it's possible that if you give yours an appropriate amount of food, they'll get huge. My old pot belly's parents were about 50 lbs. She's over 100 now and she's only 4.

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well I had a pot belly. My friends have a pot belly currently. Mine was OK for a while, she was fine with my older dog. When my daughter got old enough to walk and we got a second, more boisterous dog, my pot belly got mean. She was jealous of my daughter and she tried to bite me a few times. She tried to bite my puppy also. We had to rehome her. She's doing OK now but they don't trust her with their other animals. They don't have kids so they aren't as worried as I was.

My other friend has a pot belly that is a doll. He is the friendliest pig ever and wonderful with kids and dogs. However they tried to put him and their goats together (despite my warnings not to). Goat butted pig a few times, pig nearly took off the goats ear.

I believe Julianas are similar to pot bellies, not sure. Either way, pigs act like pigs. Lots of people keep them as pets and enjoy them. I would never trust a pig that much. Just me.

Agree with @luvmypets also. Even if you do see the parents it's possible that if you give yours an appropriate amount of food, they'll get huge. My old pot belly's parents were about 50 lbs. She's over 100 now and she's only 4.
Wow. She got that naughty? I'm starting to think twice about this :/
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

Latest posts