Jumpin' in with both feet

walnuthollowfarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Super excited to be part of this community. I've been a member of backyard chickens since 2008...running about 80 layers, two dozen swedish ducks, narragansetts, and toulouse geese. But we've expanded over the last decade and now I'm venturing back into uncharted waters. We started Yorks in 2012 via FFA, and added Durocs and Berks in 2016 cause I just love momma hogs. My DW said it's her turn, so I've been looking for goats since early Fall, 2019. A co-worker is moving and can't relocate his nubians, so I traded a freezer full of Duroc for a buck and three does. We pick them up on March 30th.

I have no goat experience, but I'm tackling it the same way I did when we started with poultry and hogs. I've read 6 goat books from McKay's used books, about 350 posts on this forum, and found three families at my kids' school who have goats...one with nubians.

Oh...it's my wife and I in Blount County, TN...just south of Knoxville. Our oldest is pre-vet at UT-Martin, then we have two in HS, and 5th grader who says his grandfather farmed just fine with a 6th grade education...yikes. We live on 48 acres left from the farm where my father was born and it's being cleared one fence row at a time.

That should pretty well cover it....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A big HOWDY! And a big WELCOME!! From Texas. Glad to have you here. We have a great goat forum here, lots of nice people.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Super excited to be part of this community. I've been a member of backyard chickens since 2008...running about 80 layers, two dozen swedish ducks, narragansetts, and toulouse geese. But we've expanded over the last decade and now I'm venturing back into uncharted waters. We started Yorks in 2012 via FFA, and added Durocs and Berks in 2016 cause I just love momma hogs. My DW said it's her turn, so I've been looking for goats since early Fall, 2019. A co-worker is moving and can't relocate his nubians, so I traded a freezer full of Duroc for a buck and three does. We pick them up on March 30th.

I have no goat experience, but I'm tackling it the same way I did when we started with poultry and hogs. I've read 6 goat books from McKay's used books, about 350 posts on this forum, and found three families at my kids' school who have goats...one with nubians.

Oh...it's my wife and I in Blount County, TN...just south of Knoxville. Our oldest is pre-vet at UT-Martin, then we have two in HS, and 5th grader who says his grandfather farmed just fine with a 6th grade education...yikes. We live on 48 acres left from the farm where my father was born and it's being cleared one fence row at a time.

That should pretty well cover it....
Hello and welcome to the forums! we are excited to have you here as well. I hope that you can share some of your best practices here with us. Hope to hear from you soon.

Latest posts