Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need to hand out some fliers at Farmer's Markets and the local store that carries my milk to let people know that my milk will not be available for a few months and why. I am looking for opinions.

"Jumping the Moon Dairy would like to thank our loyal customers for their support during 2018, our first year in business. During the months of December through February you will not find our fluid milk on the shelves or at markets as our goats are taking a break; our cheese will still be available. Most goats breed seasonally which means that the entire herd will be out on maternity leave at about the same time and it is for their health and well-being that we give them a few months off before starting to milk them again. We will be back!!! "
I like it. It is to the point, well worded and explains why.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Senile_Texas_Aggie Thank you for thinking about me. I am about 60 miles from this fire in No. CA. The loss of life and property is devastating, I can't imagine an entire community being gone like this...Paradise...not any more. To lose your home, your animals, hopefully not your family, and your business or your job is overwhelming beyond words. My heart breaks for them. The last big fire here was much closer to me, about 8 miles, and around 1200 homes were lost but the city itself was not touched. This fire is over 6000 homes, seriously, an entire town...GONE. Many of the fireman, medics, and law enforcement officers lost their homes and yet they are out doing their job. How tough is that? Looters have shown up already too. Shoot to kill is my mantra. :somad

Ridgetop may be a lot closer to fires in So CAl, I'm not sure what is burning down there and what isn't. Rain, rain, rain. We need rain.
:hugs:hugs

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Over 600 people reported missing in this fire. Over 60 confirmed dead. Cadaver dogs are hitting on targets and the handlers aren't able to find any remains. :hit They said that the fire was spreading the size of football field every second.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is beyond terrible. If people are never found, that will leave a wound on families that will never heal. It's bad enough when you know, not knowing and wondering is unbearable.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
So breeding is completed for the year. I have 50 does with known breeding dates, 3 with a range of breeding dates, 6 that are most likely bred with no dates, and 5 yearlings that might be bred and I hope that they are not. That is a total of 63 does. :barnie :th Someone please take me out and shoot me now, or at least bring me a big bottle of wine.

My baby goat raiser from last year has had some family changes and can't raise them for me this year so I am on my own. I honestly have no clue what I will do other than sell them ASAP.

The fun starts on Jan 29.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a lot of goats! I can't even imagine trying to do that many. That's 126 goat if all of them had twins. Do you stagger breedings?

And there will be some triplets too, guaranteed. I stagger them because that is what they choose to do and I honestly don't have the setup to kid out more than 6 a day; I would prefer all at once as it would make milking easier for the dairy. But it looks like I will be kidding out until the middle of May...again. Next year I hope to have half the number of goats I have this year, some hard decisions need to be made. And I am thinking of CIDRS so I can do this in a shorter time period.