Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear you guys are OK. I was wondering about you the other day, hoping y'all were out of harms way. One of my SoCal friends is only about 50 miles from the fire down there..... California up in flames. Nothing new, but it still hurts. I will keep you in my prayers! :fl

I'm glad to hear that the puppies are better too. :thumbsup

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not convinced that this is really all their fault though, it is sometimes just hard for man made things to stand up to 70 MPH winds, sometimes no planning is enough. They have a new plan in place that they were going to cut power to some areas during high winds but for some reason that didn't happen...perhaps it should have.
Is it a case of the lines and poles blowing down or trees blowing down on to the lines?

Poles and lines around here can generally handle close to 100mph for extended periods of time as long as they aren't what we call 'high lines' with long distances between the towers. Then, in high winds for a long time, the cables start 'galloping' and the results isn't pretty.

I really wish they would pass a law of some kind requiring property owners (private, commercial and govt) to cut any tree tall enough to fall on a powerline instead of just requiring the limbs that can grow into a line be cut back, but that kind of drastic requirement would get zero traction.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@greybeard, I'm all for cutting trees that could fall on a line, at least in the country. It would also prevent some outages during snow storms. Ten of the fires caused by power lines last year were from trees falling on the line, one was a broken pole and one was a conductor that came apart during high winds. If the utility company met the requirements for clearing trees I don't see how it on them.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
We need to write a book..."The way goats try to die"; I'll go first.
Today while doing chores I hear one of my young doelings let out a yell, no big deal, she has probably been rammed at the feeder. She is screaming pretty loudly and all the other goats run out of the barn in a panic. Of course I am not in the barn but I make a run for it knowing that something is wrong, even my dogs are worried. I have about 50 goats in there so I don't immediately see the problem and I am searching for the one screaming and none are at the feeders but the yelling is continuing. Out in the field I see one looking like she is choking, she is kinda staggering around and I am thinking that she choked on a piece of hay and is panicking; I am thinking Heimlich maneuver. I see another little doeling standing right next to her and where one goes that other one does too...ahhh...her friend is concerned....NOPE!!! Her friend has her hind leg caught in the collar of the screaming doe and to make it worse she managed to get a twist in the collar. So the one doeling is running around the field on three legs dragging the other doe with her (and choking her) and the choking doeling is screaming which only frightens the other doeling more making her fun faster. What a mess. I have no doubt if I had been there to catch them that they both would have been dead by the end of the day, there is no way she was extricating herself. Goats are the cause of my gray hair.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
We need to write a book..."The way goats try to die"; I'll go first.
They are nothing if not inventive. Earlier this summer I was selling a few goats. The gentleman was here to pick them up and decided he would like one more goat. I looked out in the pasture and see a wether that I was planning to butcher but decided I'd go ahead and sell him.

I put down the bucket that I was carrying in the front barnyard and went out to he pasture to catch this guy. While I'm out in the pasture one of my silly does in the barnyard noticed the bucket....stuck her head in it...and got the handle around her head. She is in a panic running around and screaming bloody murder because she can't see and falls into the big water trough. Now, falling in the water trough wasn't good enough - she had to flip herself upside down and get a foot hung in the fence next to the trough. Thank goodness the man that was just there to buy some goats was close enough to save her stupid butt, lol. Definitely would have been a tragedy if no one would have been there to rescue her. I have a few gray hairs I can attribute to goats too....

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother I have had them do the bucket over the head but fortunately they skipped the water trough. But I did have a doe deliver her kid right into the trough one time; Francis saved that kid.
2017-11-16 14.38.57.jpg