1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Goat with teeth knocked out? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Jumping the Moon Dairy - Kidding season is closing in.

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by babsbag, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Dec 16, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

This is a great idea! What about advertising for bottle feeders? Find 2-3 people to come bottle feed for you and they get paid with a baby goat!

Senile_Texas_Aggie likes this.
  2. Dec 16, 2018
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

@Senile_Texas_Aggie I haven't heard anything about the insurance but I did hear that some insurance companies had gone broke over the losses in these fires. I don't think that home loan lenders would be real happy about that, not sure how they would deal with that.

My friend's parents died within 36 hours of each other. Her father had Alzheimer's as well but when her mother got cancer and they sent her home with hospice they made her father go to a care facility. He was only there for a few days and 36 hours after his wife died, he died. He was not physically ill prior...life (and death) can sure be a mystery. She has tried to find help but for some reason the county has been unable to give her any and I don't believe that her aunt has insurance or the means to pay for private help. It is tough.

3. Dec 16, 2018
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

@Baymule That isn't a bad idea. I do advertise early but I don't take deposits, that gets too complicated. Last year most of the LaManchas were spoken for prior to birth and I kept all of the Alpine doelings...not doing that this year, only keeping a few.

Senile_Texas_Aggie and Baymule like this.
  4. Jan 12, 2019
    Senile_Texas_Aggie

Senile_Texas_Aggie True BYH Addict

Miss @babsbag,

Any news you'd like to share?

5. Jan 12, 2019
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

@Senile_Texas_Aggie LOL.... the question should be "any news that you have time to share"? There is always news around here. Probably the biggest is this: We bought a bigger trailer to build a bigger processing room. One more remodel job on the horizon. I will use what I have for this year but in the meantime we will be remodeling a 10x40 office trailer with plans of moving into it next winter. I currently have an 8x30 and it's tight. My current processing trailer will replace my office/lab/restroom trailer and that trailer will be sold. This will give me room to have some freezers and refrigerators near my dairy instead of them being in my garage. It will also get them out of the garage, which will be nice. Of course that means installing a restroom but at this point my attitude is "whatever". I can always move the current trailer housing the restroom to another close by location and use that until the new one is built. I don't use it anyways, it is just for code compliance. It is 100' to my house so if I need the facilities I go to my house, don't want to mess with a holding tank to empty. Life is never boring around here.

I had a set of mini Alpine twin bucklings born a week ago, that was a total surprise. My first doe is set to kid the end of Jan. and then the fun begins again. I am trying to get my house in order, cleaning and donating as fast as I can. I am having (or doing) a new laminate floor so all my nick-knaks and china need to be packed up too. I collect Nativity sets and I have two curio cabinets full of them plus my husband has a fire engine collection in another cabinet. This is going to be fun.

Mia is in heat again and living in the house/backyard. She does not do well in here at night. Fortunately I have a very secure dog run in my yard and she doesn't mind that at all but I do hear her howling/talking to the LGDs in the barn. She gets along pretty well with my house dogs and the cats which is a huge plus; I was worried about that. She is very dominant and one of my house dogs thinks that she is the dominant dog so I have to watch that. And of course I keep the food separated. Mia isn't eating much right now but I still watch that. I will be happy when this is over; probably another week to be sure.

Never boring.

6. Jan 12, 2019
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Good to hear from you! Glad it isn't completely crazy (yet).

7. Jan 12, 2019
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead Herd Master

Life seems to be a roller coaster