Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a relief, Miss @babsbag, that the insurance will cover it! When do you think you will receive the funds? And what will you do in the mean time for shelter for the animals? I hope it all works out for you. You have worked so hard to get to where you are so I am glad that this didn't set you back too much.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have an area that is about 100x60 that I had built last year to house bucks during breeding season. It has a covered area of about 10x60 that the does are now crammed into. I still need to build them some good feeders...tomorrow. I also need to install a gate in a different place for them to access to the big pasture and I need to figure out hay storage. The kidding pens are still in the old barn, they are holding up part of the collapsed barn, but I can use them, barely. I don't have my cameras anymore which is really too bad. They didn't get damaged, but they sure aren't pointing towards the pens any longer.

I am waiting for the appraiser for the insurance. I am sure that they are very busy, I can't be the only one around here with a loss.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am hoping to get enough money for labor to buy more solar panels. The adjuster wants me to find a contractor and get a price on installation. No clue where to find one of those. These are unique buildings.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just checked my policy and it will cover snow damage...I bought the broad coverage, thank God. It looks like it is actually replacement value as well. My brain always goes into over drive with things like this. Meaning...if they pay me for installation and we do it ourselves can I use the money for something else?

Yes you can use $$ as you wish, even never rebuild....Unless your
mortgage co (if you have one) gets involved. There are times when the check is written to BOTH and the lender always gets the "hold" until hey are satisfied with replacemnt. You may or may not have this happen. Wait until the insurance co is issueing….If not part of original mortgage, you may get lucky.

You can contact the firm from which you bought the clearspan and ask who does install for them in your area. They normally have crews to suggest. Get a estimate or two. Then ALSO know what it will cost to replace the pony walls, AND any specialized equipment to reconstruct...not the tractor you own, one you will rent (get it?) Permits, inspection fees, any damaged equipment (if you have a listed coverage for those things..pens, feeders, etc.) Get all those figures together so nothing is forgotten, OR not priced right.

Some things will also be allowed removal costs. Will there need to be more fill brought in? Damaged? Delivery/transport? Relocate other things while doing (not the goats -- although you MAY have coverage for some of that in the policy :idunno)? Pretend it isn't there and you are buying new for your planning.

Just a couple things that crossed my mind. :D

ETA: You may WANT to hire some help -- remember what gosh awful work that was?? And goats kidding, milking....help may be affordable and a blessing to your own well-being :hugs

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the mortgage company (FHA) will stay out of this as it wasn't even there when we had the house financed. I did talk to Farmtec about an installer and they were of no help. They said to take the installation plans to a contractor and hopefully find someone to do it. My DH has a few friends that are contractors and he is going to ask if any of them are willing to give us an estimate. Not really sure what we will build, we keep going back and forth with building a wooden barn or re-building this one. And now I am looking at a big metal carport. Time will tell.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look at all your options, then make your decision. At first you were overwhelmed, now you are dusting off the seat of your pants (from getting knocked on your A$$) getting up and ready to pile into it again. Way to go.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am considering a 30x40 carport to use for a barn. It would be much easier to put together and I am in a hurry. The downside is that it will be hotter in the summer and I have to figure out how to close in the sides...I don't want to use metal for the sides. I want something that looks "barnish" but not necessarily something that I have to paint.