Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh Babs...I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Mold can sure do a number on you - but I have no idea how to convince your docs and/or insurance company to get on board.

You worked so hard to get your dairy going I hate to see you have to sell out. I hope you can hold out until your health issues maybe level out. Try not to make such a major decision while you're not 100%. But, if it continues to get worse - do what you have to do to take care of yourself.

Definitely sending prayers, best wishes, and positive energy your way!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your post is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Is there any way you can get a temporary shelter in place to live in so your body can get away from the mold? A camping trailer someone can loan out?
Are there any churches in your area you can talk to to see if they have some assistance they can offer?
I'm sorry for the loneliness and isolation you are going through. We don't know each other,but I have read several of your posts.
I am praying for you, that you will find some hope and help.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are masks that you can get, such as the ones worn by auto painters, not the paper kind, but masks with cannisters to filter out fumes. That might help. What about hiring someone to rip out the sheet rock and insulation? Look into what to use to kill the mold, there is one kind that actually feeds on Clorox, which is usually used on killing mold.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is there any way you can get a temporary shelter in place to live in so your body can get away from the mold? A camping trailer someone can loan out?
There are masks that you can get, such as the ones worn by auto painters, not the paper kind, but masks with cannisters to filter out fumes. That might help. What about hiring someone to rip out the sheet rock and insulation? Look into what to use to kill the mold, there is one kind that actually feeds on Clorox, which is usually used on killing mold.

I so agree with both of these! Have you had any enviro people out to check for mold?? If that is confirmed by "pros" you may then get the doctors on board. That will get you to help for those issues. I agree with rip out walls & insulation, etc. but, that kinda part of the enviro inspection deal...identify and destroy first. Do you have an "office" area in the dairy? Sleep there? Stay in there?

Is the house damage at an end that can be sealed off from the rest? Then air out the rest until repairs?

We ALL hate this for you! Your health first, the stress of the immediate goat needs, the possible loss of your dairy (which we have all "built" from afar as the cheering section!). My prayers are with you.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with the above. Unless it is a really small area of mold and is limited to the surface, I think you really have no choice but to pull out the moldy sheetrock and any wet insulation behind it. You could then kill any mold that is on the studs/framing.

As Bay mentioned there are volatile chemical masks that I'm sure would exclude mold though you really can't live with a respirator on your face all the time. I don't even understand "mold conspiracy", I thought health impacts from mold were well known and have been for years.

Have you seen someone about your depression? It is surely understandable, you've had enough hits to take out even the strongest person. We are all here for you but sadly we can't be there for you. I'm sure if we all lived close enough you would have a "barn raising" crew for whatever you need done.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have sent a mold kit off for testing so we will see what it says. The area is my laundry room, right in the middle of the house. The insulation is blow in which has gotten wet and is stuck together and is now like one big blanket but no longer wet. I tried getting it out without much luck so it is going to be a tough one. Of course getting into the attic isn't easy either and having to walk on the ceiling joists makes it tough too. If I can get the insulation out that will allow me to at least see the sheetrock and assess the damage. I can see mold on the underside of the roof sheating and right before I got sick I cleaned a bunch of mold off of the ceiling in the laundry room so I am pretty certain that the sheetrock is compromised. Not sure how it could have mold on the room side and not the attic side. It is just not an easy project...the story of my life. I have seen some foggers used to treat mold but the sheetrock is buried under insulation so that would be useless at this point. Of course winter isn't the time to tear out insulation and sheetrock in an attic but I can't wait. I feel like crap and everything points to mold exposure. Fortunately I don't have much carpet in the house as that can harbor it too, as can furniture. I needed new sofas anyways.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @babsbag,

I grieved so much when I read your posts. It seems like you have been hit with one setback after another. I liked Miss @thistlebloom's and Miss @Baymule's suggestions. Please take care of yourself! I know you feel overwhelmed, but look at what all you have gone through in building the dairy. Take a little while to rest if you can (once you have dealt with the mold). BTW, this is how I see you:
1578000728967.png

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
@babsbag
We had mold problems our last move. My advice is that you need to get out of your house, away from the mold. Camping or sleeping in the barn/car would be preferable. Mold can kill you. It was killing us. Some of us even wound up in the ER we got so bad (not documented in my journal). Give yourself a week without exposure-you may see improvements already. When it's not making you sicker you can decide what to do better.