Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have
Absence seizures means a blank out. Not a seizure like most people think of, just a quiet, blank stare, nobody is home sort of thing, and no memory of it afterward.
I have had a few absence seizures that I know of, that is how my husband and friend first identified that something was wrong. Now I just have very brief episodes of things not looking right or sounding right. I can't understand what is being said and if I am reading the words no longer make sense. These last about 10 seconds and then all is well. I can usually tell that they are coming on.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absence seizures are what our poor DD2 had. They had not been identified as seizures until we got her. It was like she would just go away while you were talking to her. She would still be standing there but her eyes would glaze and unfocus, and she did not remember what had been said or happened. When she was younger, she would be blamed for "ignoring" her teachers or parents and punished for it. One time while DH and I were with her at a teacher conference (after we knew she was having these absence seizures) she had one while talking to the teacher. Her teacher started to scold her for not responding to the question, and I had to explain what happened. The biology teacher (who was a licensed EMT) had not realized what was happening when she saw the seizure since they are so mild seeming to others. Stress is a factor in bringing them on too. When we got DD2 at age 14 she had been through a lot of familial and sexual abuse, 2 previous adoptions, as well as death of her adoptive mother and rejection by the adoptive father. She was under constant stress from those things for years in spite of us immediately putting her into counseling. She also had Fetal Alcohol Syndrome which was the base cause of the seizures.

While searching for a cause and cure wethe found out that stress would cause these absence seizures to occur more frequently.

Since Babsbag has been enduring constant stress for the past months, it is probable that the stress is increasing the number of seizures she is having. I wonder if seizures could also be triggered by some forms of mold.

mendofarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My girlfriend, who was later diagnosed with black mold toxicity, first realized she had a problem when she served a tennis ball. It came right back, her racket up to receive AND just froze, unable to move, as the ball went by her head. She saw it, she could not move. I guess that was absence seizure event.

I know this is not typical backyard herds discussion. But I am learning so much from this discussion and we all need to be aware of molds and bacteria. And, thanks to these postings, I will now get on that 15 ft. ladder to clean that black stuff from around my skylight that I have put off for 2 years. I should have paid more attention to my girlfriend's plight. But, like @babsbag , thought it was no big deal. Until it is.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely! Mold can occur anywhere there is damp. We have found it in our feed storage barrels occasionally at the bottom. We dump the feed into plastic bags and dispose of it in the trash cans in order to avoid having any of our animals get into t by mistake. Then I bleach out the storage barrels. Moldy feed is toxic to the livestock as well as mold that you breath in.

Actually you can buy mold test kits at the hardware store and send in the results for a report (lab fee is included in the cost of the kit). The report will tell you what sort of mold you have. I would be very careful, BABSBAG, about cleaning any mold without knowing what sort it is since you already are having these extreme reactions. Some people are much more susceptible to it and since you are already having reactions to it you are one of those susceptible people.

Like BAY said in a previous posting you can buy filtration masks at the hardware store. The have a good selection in the painting department (not the little paper ones) that have replacement cartridges. If you are going to try to do anything with cleaning the mold, you should also pick up one of those paper suits that are sold as painting coveralls. That way you can take off the paper coverall. seal the whole thing up in a plastic garbage bag, and dispose of it afterwards. With your seizures, be careful on ladders - don't get up high without someone with you.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have learned a bunch about mold in the last few months and I had no idea how damaging it could be. The mold spores actually release mycotoxins and that is what is dangerous and mycotoxins are also what can kill livestock that eat moldy feed. I got test results back for me yesterday and yes, I test positive for mold exposure so no more guessing on my part. So now it is time to start figuring out how to treat it. My doctor is ZERO help, Kaiser doesn't treat patients for mold, so there goes the insurance. I will be sure and check out all the information that mendofarm posted, thank you for sharing. I am pretty much an emotional mess and that is just not my style and I hate what this has done to me. Supposedly a person can recover and that is what I am going to believe.

Latest posts