Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's true!! Use it or lose it! The work & exercise keeps us moving -- maybe a little sore but, moving! The mental aspect is crucial. The networking, uplifting.

PLUS -- the nutrition we get from homegrown, home milked, free range eggs, all make a huge difference. Senior bodies do not produce the things produced when younger. Supplement if needed and keep moving on! EAT well & wise.

That fresh goat milk and free range hen eggs are way more nutritious than any store bought (poor caged hens:() WE CAN BUY. Heirloom veggies with no chems can't be beat.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I just turned 60 in May so I was under 60 when I started this, and no, I don't have any employees. There are days that I just want to roll over and move to the city and forget this but I know that I would be miserable once I got there. Right now it is the administrative crap that keeps me busy, things like paying bills, ordering labels, looking for ways to pay for solar, research cream separators, etc. Plus trying to keep up on all the stuff that comes with just living, like normal bills and chores. Today I am going to try and take a MOUNTAIN of cans and bottles to the recycle place, but I need to hurry as they might close early on Saturday. I was supposed to go to OR today to pick up a goat but sent DH instead as I didn't have time to get the house ready for a house sitter. I swear that I must have lost a cat or two as there is enough hair on my floors to "clothe" an entire animal. I don't normally live like this but it is the new norm.

Then the farm chores, build a feeder, fix a fence, install a gate, etc. I keep thinking that someday those kind of things will get done, maybe...maybe not, but dreaming keeps me busy. I do one market on Thursday afternoon and DH does two for me on the weekends. He is going to retire in 2 months and I really wish that he would buy into running the dairy but that isn't likely to happen. He helps with some things but it isn't his thing...retirement might be a really sore point around here. :(

Breeding season has started, not my choice. I finally rounded up the mini Alpine buck that was being over enthusiastic with the ladies but I am sure that he bred at least three of them. I am not keeping any kids next year so I am just going to let what happened stay happened. I have many many more to breed selectively but I honestly might not. It is a lot of work, I may just turn the two bucks loose with the lades and let the deed be done. I can tell by the ears who sired the kids so that makes it easy. I really have too many bucks.

So all in all it is a lot of work but just praying that the sales will continue to go up as people discover me. I do like that idea of selling chevre for bagels, never really thought about that market. I do have one place that wants to offer goats milk for their coffee drinks. I need a full time marketing pro.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Bruce, I would guess that the likelihood of that happening is about the same as your DD1 helping you kill off wood chucks or allowing you to raise and butcher meat for the freezer, followed by her eating it.

Sorry you're so slammed Babs. Hope you link up with a marketing pro to help get you rolling.