Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would say that @Latestarter has pretty much nailed it. I have come to realize that if something around my house needs water to live or water to clean it it is my responsibility. It's funny, because 10 years ago he was the one that found Moonpie on Craigslist; I wasn't even looking for a goat. He helped take care of them for the first year or so and then quickly lost interest. The first time I left him alone with out first three goats he lost them. He took a nap, and the goats got out and went for a walk about. I knew that the fences weren't goat proof and seldom took my eyes off of them for long when they were out of their small pen. We found them the next day about three miles away. The night I drug him outside to help me with a kidding issue was the last time he ever stepped into a goat pen. It wasn't the kidding, it was the fact that it was 2 AM. They are mine...all mine. However, he is in OR today picking up another goat for me. :lol:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we all have our interests and faults. But, you may be able to use his time for just what he is doing now! A gopher would be a help, right? if he will get feed, attend markets, deliver/pickup whatever you need -- it's freeing up time for you. Is he any good at talking & promoting? Can--will -- would he help fix equipment? Repair fences? Will he cook and clean? Whatever.

OK, I'm just searching for you.:)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses He does cook but only cleans if he needs to use it to cook. I have already warned him that I need one day a week with no cooking so I can clean the stove top. He is creative and good at cooking, but not neat and tidy.

He will run errands, he loves to go to town. So yes I already have it on my radar that he will be "my errand runner" I have to go after hay once a week so I will make that his project if he is willing. (I buy my hay in BIG 1200-1400 pound bales and only have room to store two, but one is easier. We can get hay here year round so no need to stock up for the winter)

He does two markets now, not sure he likes them, but he is good at it. He loves to talk and is very good a sales. He will repair things but usually I have to beg. We need to rebuild a carburetor on the milk wagon and he will do it with enough pushing and a deadline but he will most likely wait until the last possible moment. She failed her smog test so we do have a deadline to get it done.

Maybe when he is home it will change, I hope. It is interesting though, he feeds the hummingbirds and the wild birds, strange collection of "chores".

I would love to make enough money to hire a housekeeper once a week, or even every two weeks. And then someone to prune the orchard in the winter would be nice.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just got caught up on your journal. I am glad that you are safe from the fires. I hope that you get more marketing going and sales go up. Retirement will be an adjustment, my husband wanted me to fix lunch every day, Huh? He now is able to heat up leftovers all on his own with no help from me. LOL

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bruce, I would guess that the likelihood of that happening is about the same as your DD1 helping you kill off wood chucks or allowing you to raise and butcher meat for the freezer, followed by her eating it.
So you are saying you don't think Bab's DH will be helpful? :lol:

I just got caught up on your journal. I am glad that you are safe from the fires. I hope that you get more marketing going and sales go up. Retirement will be an adjustment, my husband wanted me to fix lunch every day, Huh? He now is able to heat up leftovers all on his own with no help from me. LOL
Super funny. When my FIL retired apparently my MIL (didn't know them at the time) told him up front she wasn't going to be making his lunch. She is a grazer, doesn't make lunch for herself either.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
2015-02-27 11.30.33.jpg
RIP Moonpie, may you watch over your herd and your dairy from greener pastures where it is never hot or cold and you will never run out of acorns and oak leaves. You and your antics will be greatly missed.

Latest posts