Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Patti Dean did fudge at Willow Run. Would that be something you could do?

We use CIP, DeLavel and bulk tank with the cows. The old bulk tank had to be hand scrubbed.

I have been looking at a made in China on eBay.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@babsbag : Joel Salatin has used interns for years also. May have some ideas on that in one of his books? Or call him? Also, can't Mike just send you the name and phone # of the farm where he bought his ewe and you can just call them directly and ask? The worst they can do is tell you to go take a hike or no, they won't discuss it with you. I mean, you are sure far enough away that you won't be "poaching" on their available interns....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish I knew how they did the business model but the farm that we bought a ewe and our ram has a slew of interns doing all of the grunt work in their gardens and sheep handling. There are some paid employees but most are college students. I have no idea how you could find out how to start that.
Maybe you need to ask them!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
This marketing stuff is hard.
Sure is! But often the key to success.

Joe Salatin advocates "natural" farming, using animals for help with SS activities, etc. A Mother Earth News advocate and supporter. Has written books, does a good amount of conferences, etc. MEW speaker at many of their fairs.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses ; Although he is close here to me, Joel Salatin has some mixed followings. Locals think he is a little off, but his ideas of natural farming and how to make the animals work for you is basically what I also believe in. He is into pastured beef and pork, they sell to alot of restaurants etc., and have a farm tour every year or every other year. Has made quite a bit on the natural, wholistic marketing and yes, has written books, does alot of guest speaker spots. If you read Acres USA he is often a featured writer in it. But the thing is, he gets interns to do alot of the "grunt work" while learning the ropes and has contracted with some that have stayed in the area to also raise pastured beef and pork for him to market.
One thing you might want to talk to some of the other weekly farmer market participants, and see if you can put some of your products in some of their places like the lavender farm is wanting. Here there are a couple of cheese makers that have gotten hooked up with some vineyards/wineries, and have gotten their cheese into those outlets.
I also don't see why milk that is getting close to expiration date wouldn't be able to be reused for ice cream or to make into cheese. It comes from the goat directly into cooling in the bulk tank. Then are you pasteurizing it? And don't you pasteurize it to make ice cream and/or cheese? Don't know if "reheating" will cause any problem.... One thing that is popular here is "drinkable yogurt" or what we used to get as "kefir". I realize another product.... One thing it is very good for "re-innoculating" the gut tract with beneficial bacteria. Use it for any calves that are a little scoury or have had to be on anti-biotics for anything.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, he is near you :D I agree with much of his farming beliefs and animal uses, etc. As to apprentices -- THAT IS PURE GENIUS. We would all like to have "volunteers" who are dedicated to hard work and learning. I've considered such but most have to be housed and fed....not all....:idunno You have to be available to teach and guide. I'm not able to do 24/7 farming of the size to support them. He has spent years getting to this point. Kudos!

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a Simple Pulse milker and I've been pleased with it so far. You can milk two at a time, but unfortunately not more than that. Might not be what you need, but for one or two goats....

That would work as I won't have but at most a dozen to milk. My hands are beginning to get stiff and I figure I better get ready to switch over to machine.

Latest posts