Junkprospectors - mini-farm journal

junkprospector

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
next year i think i might go with some Sweetgrass turkeys. Maybe - i like that i can get the turkey in march and by this time have a good sized Tom ready for processing.... i guess it depends on how the processing goes. if it's just too hard, then maybe no more turkeys... but i don't think it will be all that difficult. i would like to get some type of a heritiage bird as i've read that they taste better. Ideally i would like to get a breeding pair of sweetgrass turkeys and just keep a perpetual flock going. hopefully in the spring i can get that going.

junkprospector

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
yesterday was the first attempt using our milking stand made from reclaimed pallets. IT WORKED GREAT! their heads both locked securely into the stachions, nobody wiggled out, and with the food trough in place - everyone was relatively happy as i trimmed their hooves! Overall it was an awesome success! I had to spend a mere $0.57 on two lag bolts to construct it and this baby is SOLID and has the cool 'weathered' look. i'll post a pic of it after i get some.

Next project -
1. Clean up mess made constructing the milking stand
2. Ready milking parlor/ finish cleaning the room out and getting shelves installed
3. Work on assembling milking machine
4. Purchase a doe in milk and sell our wether?

BTY - turkey still lives. He got a temporary stay of execution. The slaughtering day was my Anniversary, so we decided that there were more romantic things to do than butcher our turkey. Looks like maybe i'll just keep him around until the beginning of Thanksgiving week...

junkprospector

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
here's a picture of the milking stand made from the pallets.

9662_milkstand3.jpg

and

9662_milkstand.jpg

its very sturdy, weighs maybe 70 pounds

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Awesome!!! Looks good!!! :thumbsup One always gets such a feeling of pride when ya can do it yourself instead of having to buy everything!! :D

EllieMay

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nice job on the milking stand! :thumbsup

I'm thinking about getting a turkey or two next year.

Hubby shot a wild turkey during turkey season and it's been in our freezer ever since.
He pulled it out last week and cooked it.
To my surprise, it was very good.
I thought it would be tough and gamey tasting.
It wasn't at all.

Looking forward to reading more about your farm life. :D