Changing goals and speed

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm actually in Oklahoma now, lol. East TX does look nice, and it's pretty nice here. We'll see where we end up, maybe closer to my parents in AZ though.

I have tall narrow tires on my pickup. 215x85x16's, the thick load rated E's - but I drive a dually, they're off road tires (Hercules terra trac AT2's). My truck is so heavy (old F350) that I prefer those 9 ply tires, even if it rides like a tank. DH has 35x12.5x20s on his pickup but he also has 4WD and I don't. He drove my truck out on the snow and all and said it handles pretty well for a pickup, probably because it's so heavy. Of course it doesn't handle like his because he can pop into 4WD, but he said it's safe and I just need some driving in crap lessons.
I grew up in AZ, the only thing I really know how to drive in is sand storms, lol.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would think that a heavy dually would handle snow better without snow tires WAY better than a car would. Just plan ahead, slow down and leave plenty of space between you and other people, all that mass takes some distance to stop. You'll be fine. :)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah that's been my issue. We are uphill from the stop sign at the end of the road, and I was poking along down the hill and still managed not to stop at the sign. Luckily, I have about zero traffic on my road, but the deep ditches on the side make me nervous. Our road is not maintained whatsoever when it's icy or snowy, so in my week of being here, I've already seen that it is very slick! Even the mail carrier said that last week when we had the snow our road is too dangerous and if it's like that not to expect to get mail - so it's my best interest to keep track of the weather closely if I'm going to have anything alive shipped.

We have a weather alert for Friday for an ice storm, I have to make it to the store tomorrow sometime since they're saying we may lose power and I need oil for my hurricane lamps. Other than that, I'm ready to bunker down for the whole weekend. All the critters have plenty of food, we have propane for the grill and the freezer is full - I don't plan on going anywhere! It isn't like I don't have anything to do here, I'm still unpacking. I quite literally did "eeny, meeny, miney, mo" to pick a room to start on today. I did manage to get the livingroom and kitchen finished though, need to hang a shower curtain in the bathroom and get my office/laundry room sorted out since it's a massive disaster of paper and boxes.

Last edited:

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, figured I'd drop in some pictures of the eggs I'm incubating while I'm at it. It's just a mixed flock but I already know some are viable (the ones I can see into anyway!) they are dual purpose mixed though, so roosters to the freezer, hens to the coop.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The eggs look great, I hope you have a good hatch rate. Do you have your Mama Heating Pad brooder ready to go??

I am fond of being able to tell which girls are laying and having different color eggs helps that a lot.

If your mail carrier says it is too icy to deliver mail, I say it is too icy to leave the house!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad to hear ya made it! :thumbsup It sounds like ya have already started working on things and sure wish ya the Best with the eggs and nubians. :fl I use to dance at some PowWows not too far from where ya are now, I have had a lot of fun and met some really Great people there...it does get pretty Windy and be sure to get a good weather app on your phone...it will come in Handy for ya. Anxious to see your layout, set-up, and animals when ya get settled in. :thumbsup

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The girls got here this morning. They want to be friendly and come right up to me, but won't quite let me pet them. They're getting used to everything here, and our cattle dog doesn't know what to make of them, other than to bark, try to herd them, realize that they aren't going to be pushed around, and bark some more.
The goats do "talk" to me when they see me come out, and run up, but then they're like "no, don't touch me" and just move away. They'll get used to it though.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep just a matter of time. Looks like they have plenty of space!

Latest posts