Changing goals and speed

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the EE's! I like the pretty eggs. I bought 4 Wellsummer pullets and 2 roosters at a poultry sale. I'm going to put one of the Wellie roos in with 3 EE hens I have for some olive eggers!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Love the big brown ears and cheeks on the black face, very pretty boy.

OK, I give up, what/where is BFE??
Nevermind, @CntryBoy777 PMed me the answer. Never heard of BFE before.

Last edited:

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So, he's the first goat that is really super friendly. The one in my avatar is friendly as long as you have food, my nubian does are too...but him, omg it's like having a dog. He follows me, and just generally hangs out with me. He's a doll. Plus, who doesn't love those huge floppy ears?
ETA: added in a pedigree if anyone is interested in that.
pedigree.jpg

We have an issue with some reddish orange paper wasps. They are aggressive, and made a nest in our attic, which we finally went up and checked out after it was dark. We actually have a big attic, you can stand and walk in it. I was afraid of going up there, our landlord said he'd never been in it as long as he owned the place. It has one of those drop down ladders from the ceiling, and that sucker is sketchy, but it did hold me and DH to go up there. I only went up as far as standing on the ladder, since we knew we had those little demons up there and I am allergic to bees.
The exterminator is coming to exorcise the little demons today. I hope he doesn't get nailed, they are super mean and chase you, stung my son in the head just walking by with a couple of tools about 10 feet away. Also hoping he doesn't piss them off and they come flooding out of the attic into the house.

I will probably get some olive eggers out of my incubator. Not sure, the blue eggs don't candle well, I can't see through them at all, but the dad is either the black copper maran rooster or our white leghorn.

Not even going to lie, DST has me messed up. Growing up in AZ and not dealing with it was awesome. I woke up this morning at 5, (normally don't get up until 5:30) and while I feel rested, something seems just wrong.
At least it will be light out when the kids catch the bus, but losing the afternoon hours sucks!

Last edited:

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

That was my thought while I was driving, the lady goes "GPS to this intersection and then use these directions" and sent me directions, apparently GPS won't get her home address.
So here I am, turning on this tiny dirt road, with the big horse trailer for miles and miles just hoping I don't have anyone coming the opposite direction because it's narrow and raining so if I get off in the shoulder I might sink...when I finally came to the end and had to turn right, I noticed I had hit the ditch with the trailer when I turned, even though I turned as wide as I could, I had tire tracks down in the ditch lol.
I am glad I brought the horse trailer, kept chickens and little goat nice and dry for the 2 hour trip home.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our roads used to be gravel, but then they covered with what is known as "Improved" road material....they drip tar and cover it with very small lime rock....locally it is called "Drip and Drop Pavement"....the big planting and harvesting equipment just eats it up and when they do get around to patching it, they use coldpatch....so there are many uneven surfaces...they train highway road repair guys back here when they do actually run a stretch of asphalt, but never a long stretch just a dump truck or 2 at a time....I guess it is better to keep down the dust and such, but it was a much better ride on gravel than this "Improved Pavement".....:)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This wasn't graveled, just red clay dirt road. My horse trailer is covered in spatter from the truck, so white trailer with red splashes of mud. I'm re-painting it this winter anyway so I'm not going to worry too much about washing it off right now, I know that it will eat the paint but not a big deal since I"m going to prime and paint it anyway.
I plan on using farm implement paint, probably gray. You can see from my pic of the goat that the inside has some rust and stuff so the whole thing is getting a new coat. The floor is good so I'll just leave it and spray, I put non-slip mats over it anyway.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I presume the exterminator knows what he is doing and you will be rid of the beasties without incident!