Changing goals and speed

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We decided to go with the vet that is 38 miles away. I did some calling around yesterday, and as far as goat vets, he's it other than the one we were going to. Every office I called said "oh goats, well we can do vaccines, or order them for you since you probably do them yourself, and little routine things like blood draws, but for surgery or emergencies call...(vet that is 38 miles away).
The other one close to me will do routine stuff for goats, but refers out to the one way out for big stuff, and won't touch horses. The other one does horses, but said they can order me the stuff for goats to do myself because they don't do it and send it out to...you guessed it, vet that's 38 miles away. That's it for the large livestock vets near me, the rest do small animals.
Good thing is, the one that's way out does all large livestock, and has another vet in the office that does dogs and cats. He also told me if I had an emergency I couldn't bring down they will do house calls day or night, even though I live so far away.

38 miles doesn't sound like a lot, and it isn't, but the drive is slow, only about 5 miles of freeway until it's down county roads, which is fairly slow going. It took me almost an hour to get there.

So, all that craziness behind me, I need to shampoo the back seat of my truck. It's an unholy mess, I'd be scared to be pulled over because it looks like someone was murdered back there, and I'm not sure explaining to a cop that "it's goat blood, I swear" even sounds sane. I was hoping I wouldn't on the trip out because as soaked as we were it was going to look bad initially. Imagine the cops reaction looking in the back seat, with a bloody teenager with a bleeding goat on his lap?

My son is tough. He felt bad that once the vet opened up the big wound and he could see bone and tendons that he got woozy. I saw him get pale and start to wobble and told him he needed to sit down, and he tried to argue it but then said he felt sick. He also said "being a vet isn't for me!" Something about that huge hole just did him in, he was fine with all the blood, or just running on adrenaline because we were both really upset. I told him I was proud of him for stepping up when I needed another adult sized person, since DH had to stay home with the rest of the kids. My son carried JD in to the vet and out after I got him off the table and held him for the whole ride home. He even offered to sleep in the barn with him that night, just said to pull out the army cot and he'd be good. Of course not necessary and like I told him, we did all we could already. Good kid, just no gross open wounds for him.

JD is recovering well, I think I'll let him out of the barn for a bit today so he can get some fresh air and sunshine and I can clean the stall without a friend pestering me the whole time. I've been cleaning it, but trying to pitchfork out used up straw and every time I turn I'm bumping into a goat is just time consuming.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe you need to move about 38 miles from your current place

I know :smack

Tell your son there is nothing to feel bad about. He held up the whole time IT WAS IMPORTANT that he do so. LOTS of people get woozy shock from things they see.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Great to hear he’s recovering! And sorry your vet closest to you wasn’t much help, some folks just don’t get that animals are going to need help at random hours, and I can’t imagine how a large animal vet can be that way and stay in business. I’d say the 38 miles is worth it even if it’s just for the peace of mind that you have someone who you know will help in an emergency. Tell your boy he did good, that’s nothing to be ashamed about. I’ve done a lot of open wound treatment and necropsies for work and at school and seen a number of grown men get faint. I remember one time at school we were doing a necropsy on a horse and this big feller (I’m 6’4 and saying big mind you) saw the intestines and he passed right out. What matters is your boy did all he could to help. He gets an A+ in my book

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It does your heart good when one of your own steps up to the task at hand and sees it thru....it does take a special mindset to deal with trauma and sure don't fault him for that. Ya can tell that it made him closer to JD if he was willing to bunk down with him in the barn overnite....there is a part of me that would've pulled the cot out for him, and a part that would've said it'd be okay to be left for the nite.....sometimes it is good to allow them to sacrifice to see it thru....builds character, and makes them feel better, helpful, and important....:)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Had it been summer time, I would have let him for the peace of mind. However, it's been cold, and our barn is no part of insulated or warm lol. He'd have froze!
I grew up doing necropsies with my parents, especially when horses colicked. Always had to know whether it was impacted or twisted that did them in. I don't blame my son a bit for getting woozy, that hole was really gross. It has never bothered me, but I also think that's the first time he ever saw any kind of really traumatic wound too. No shame in feeling woozy, it's not like you can control it.
I think the only time I can remember feeling woozy was when I broke my pinky finger. I was putting down grated ramps to a trailer, caught my finger and dropped the ramp - backhoe ramp, so heavy. It snapped my finger and cut it pretty good.
It wasn't the cut, or the snapping sound, but the disgusting angle my finger was at that did me in (it was bent back and sticking out weird)...I had to sit down for that and not look at it. Actually, it still sticks up and out but not like it was.

Definitely proud of my boy though. He's really shown his true colors lately. First with the chickens at the state fair, and his concern over JD. I raised an animal lover for sure.

Who was it that had a poem about goats kidding? I'm feeling that way now, seems like the more I watch them, the less they look like they're ready. First we had some discharge, now that's gone, no udders, just huge bellies. Confusing critters! I wasn't thinking they were due until January or so, the lady I got them from said she thought they were bred in August...

Then, the doe I got from a friend that was supposed to have been bred came in heat. She may have been bred but her body condition is poor and I don't know if she didn't take or what...

So now I have kidding scattered everywhere. Dec/Jan/now? For 2, April maybe for 1, and not sure on the Nubians. JD isn't "buckish" yet, he's a bit slow to mature.

Last edited:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, I totally agree with ya AC....he did Great!!....my first witness of trauma sure left me shaken for sure....15yr old kid was skiing and his dad was driving the boat....the kid went down skiing and was climbing in the rear of the boat by the motor....his dad started the motor too soon and the propeller cut both his legs.
I wouldn't have let him stay the nite in cold temps either, he'll always remember the incident and hope he continues with his love for animals....but, with you as his Mom, how could he not?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had it been summer time, I would have let him for the peace of mind. However, it's been cold, and our barn is no part of insulated or warm lol. He'd have froze!
Just because he suggested only the cot, doesn't mean you couldn't have added a sleeping bag to the request. Maybe even a pillow too! ;)

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
While I do have sleeping bags, I don't know where they are, which means they are probably stacked up in the huge tuff boxes full of Army crap. I'm not digging through those unless 100% necessary, lol.

We had 7 kits born sometime yesterday. All of them are the same uniform color. Mom is a cinnamon mix, dad is a cinnamon. I think we'll get another litter here shortly out of this ones sister, same father. Our white rabbit only had 2 the last time she kindled, so she's on thin ice, she isn't old or anything. Hopefully she has a big litter the next time around and we can scrap the freezer idea.

Last edited:

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Weekend adventure...went and bought 4 turkey poults. They are black spanish x bourbon red. Very cute, 2 male 2 female. Derp will have new friends.

Grand total - 51 chickens, 5 turkeys, 5 ducks (10 eggs in bator), 2 guineas, 1 goose. Bo will have to wait because I'm having a hard time finding "it" a friend.

We've been unsucessful in selling our pygmy buck, so we are going to wether him. He has become so destructive to our fences that it just isn't going to fly.

Latest posts