Just brought pigs home- in shock?

Haskins418

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all- I am totally new to this forum and raising pigs. We just picked up two feeder pigs from a rather shady fellow we met on craigslist...they were castrated the day we took them. We brought them home and they seem to be in quite the terrified shocked state. The guy recommended putting iodine on them to help the wounds from castration. I'm not that worried but they don't seem interested in eating or drinking. Does anyone know how long they normally are in shock for? We put up a heat lamp which has stopped them from shivering.

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pigs act pretty identical to humans when under stress.
I mean, they probably HURT a lot, and probably feel a bit sick.
Plus the new home freaks most animals out for the first few days.
Like, if you had your bits cut off, and were then taken to a new world, you'd be in shock too :eek:

Definitely keep an eye on those fresh wounds.
The hogs might be a bit more susceptible to infection or worms if under stress.
Keep them hydrated. Maybe put a tiny bowl of Gatorade down there. The Lemon/Lime kind(it doesn't stain as much)
They'll probably eat and drink when you're not there.
ALSO make sure you have LOTS 'O STRAW for them to bury under, they like hiding and keeping cozy.

I've raised pigs for 7 years, all for 4-H so I've got some experience ;)
Although I've always gotten my piggies weeks after castration.
So I don't know how to help there!

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Give those two plenty of dry bedding and some electrolytes. That should help calm them down and ease their transition to the new surroundings. Boil some water with a few cracked eggs and chopped vegetables in it, mix that into their feed this evening and they will come around.
As for their castrations, I personally would not sell a pig that had been castrated until it was well healed. IF their testicles were removed forcibly or IF it wasn't done properly then they will get an infection and exhibit swelling. Iodine works or Blukote. Keep an eye on them for a few days and take note as to how they are healing.
I'm not an advocate for giving shots but I would keep a bottle of Durapen or a similar antibiotic on hand just in case.

Haskins418

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. Obviously, I understand why they're stressed! I just hope they come around with the eating and drinking.
They already had a shot of anti biotic. Not what I wanted for my pigs but since this is the first time doing this I figure better safe than sorry. I didn't want to get them right after castration either but I was nervous about the guy ripping us off and we had already paid a deposit so just wanted to get our pigs and go. The guy just told us to keep an eye on them for a couple days and keep doing the iodine. They are in the barn in a stall with lots of dry straw under the heat lamp. Thanks for the help again. Also, I haven't been able to find anything on the subject but the guy we bought them from mentioned something about iron shots because pigs are deficient in iron? Anyone know anything about that?

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You COULD give your pigs iron shots, OR you could just let them have access to a bit of dirt. They will get all of the iron they need from the soil. I'd mention that you should make sure you give your pigs a few eggs from time to time. They need the lysine and it helps their growth.

Haskins418

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks! We will be moving them outside once we get the electric fence up. Just hope they start eating! Will try the gatoradge and veggie/egg mixture tonight.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well the fact that the guy castrated
The pigs the day he sold them and told you to put iodine on it becaus. It was fresh.Witch I don't know about the rest of you but every breeder I know makes sure the wounds are well healed before selling.the fact that he didn't makes me wonder what else he half assed or just didn't do what should of been done .and like everyone else said give them gataroid and thick bedding and access to soil and never buy from this guy again

Haskins418

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks everyone they are doing much better. The wounds look pretty clean today. They warmed up to us a bit and are eating and drinking. I put the vegetables and the gatorade in there. Don't know if they drank the gatorade (they are much more interested in stomping around in it and pushing it over). But I mixed the gatorade in the food and I know they ate some. We want to move them outside but are afraid of predators because right now they are small. what size/age do you think they will be good to go outside with an electric fence?

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Try using electric netting if they are really small and you are worried about them. If you want to go ahead and use traditional wire, as long as your bottom one is no higher than 6" and you have one at 12"- they should be good to go. Predators can sense that electricity and aren't as apt to test it. For safety measures you can hang a few bells or chimes in the trees, one or two cheap blinking lights (similar to bike or jog lights) and pee here and there around the border of their enclosure. Pigs DON'T remain little for very long and if anything happens to them I guarantee that you will be able to hear them inside your house, at your neighbors and a good ways down the road! I have yet to meet a porker with puny pipes!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Iron shots are required within a few days of birth if they are farrowed on concrete and have no access to soil. Without the shots they will likely die. If they have access to the soil they get what they need from that. That is the usual procedure with commercial swine operations. At the same time they are given the shots they are castrated, teeth are trimmed, tails docked, and ears are notched. A lot of that doesn't happen with small breeders because it is unnecessary. However, I will not buy piglets from breeders who have not castrated long before I pick them up.

Latest posts