Just getting started...questions

Jambruins

Just born
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a couple goats next spring and have a few questions. I live in upstate NY so it gets pretty cold in the winter.

I have a 4 year old so I would like some kind of goat that is good with kids and I don't want to have to milk them. Any suggestions or do all goats have to be milked?

I have an old barn that I would need to fix up a bit but gow much space in the barn would 2 goats need?

Do I need to have an insulated space for them in the winter?

There is a 15 acre hayfield just behind the barn. Can I just fence off an area and let the goats free range in the hayfield? How big of a fenced area do they need?

Will letting them just eat in the hayfield be enough or will I need to buy other food? What about in the winter?

Thanks.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If you are just looking to get 2 pet goats especially with a young child, I would suggest either NIgerian Dwarf or Pygmy wethers. Wethers are neutered males. The Nigerian Dwarfs and Pygmy goats are a smaller size goat. Get them at a younger age but already weaned. It sounds like you wouldn't want bottle babies. They do take a lot of time and I have found that my goats are just as friendly being raised by their mom and weaned at 8 weeks old.

Probably a 10x12 or something close would be good. You want to give them enough room to roam around if it is bad weather and they have to be locked up in the barn. I'm not sure about the insulation but it would be important to make sure there are no drafts and they can get completely out of the elements including wind, rain, snow and even the sun. They also like to jump on things and sleep under things. I have Little Tikes climbers and picnic tables. But you can certainly build something or just be creative with what you have.

Wethers don't need as much feed as females but it is good to give them a little goat feed and goat minerals are very important. You will need to have alfalfa hay or alfalfa mix hay for them when they can't graze. Personally I have hay out for the goats all the time whether they are out grazing or not. They do eat the hay when they are locked up for the night. I never leave my goats out in the pasture. Fencing in that hay field will be great for them. I would say the largest size you can give them or fence in several small areas and rotate pastures.

You will also want to talk to local goat breeders or a vet to find out what the worming protocol is in your area. They need to be wormed on some sort of schedule.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
If you are just looking to get 2 pet goats especially with a young child, I would suggest either NIgerian Dwarf or Pygmy wethers. Wethers are neutered males. The Nigerian Dwarfs and Pygmy goats are a smaller size goat. Get them at a younger age but already weaned. It sounds like you wouldn't want bottle babies. They do take a lot of time and I have found that my goats are just as friendly being raised by their mom and weaned at 8 weeks old.

Probably a 10x12 or something close would be good. You want to give them enough room to roam around if it is bad weather and they have to be locked up in the barn. I'm not sure about the insulation but it would be important to make sure there are no drafts and they can get completely out of the elements including wind, rain, snow and even the sun. They also like to jump on things and sleep under things. I have Little Tikes climbers and picnic tables. But you can certainly build something or just be creative with what you have.

Wethers don't need as much feed as females but it is good to give them a little goat feed and goat minerals are very important. You will need to have alfalfa hay or alfalfa mix hay for them when they can't graze. Personally I have hay out for the goats all the time whether they are out grazing or not. They do eat the hay when they are locked up for the night. I never leave my goats out in the pasture. Fencing in that hay field will be great for them. I would say the largest size you can give them or fence in several small areas and rotate pastures.

You will also want to talk to local goat breeders or a vet to find out what the worming protocol is in your area. They need to be wormed on some sort of schedule.
I agree. I would also add to make sure the goats you get are disbudded (have their horn buds removed). Safer with younger children. In the winter, a good thick bedding of straw and each other will keep them warm.

Make sure your fencing is sufficient to keep dogs and coyotes or whatever preditors you may have out and your goats in.

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I woud guess you get snow in the winter soo you will have to feed hay in the winter, I woudn't depend on your hayfield in the winter to feed them. I love my minis even for my DGC. My DGS # 3 jsut turned 4 and he has been out in the goat pen since he coud walk. "I just love my goaties, Garramma". We have full size Nubians as well as minis. His job is to water them and love them--but he can milk as well. Does his "Garramma" proud. :D

Jambruins

Just born
Reaction score
Do all goats need to be milked? If not, do Nigerian Dwarf need to be?

The barn is pretty open on the inside but I will block off a 15x15 or so area. It will be completely out of the rain, snow and sun but there are a lot of holes/openings in the barn, which air can get through. I will put straw/hay down for a bedding but what about the sides/walls? If I put plywood up for walls and leave the top open will this work (the barn roof will prevent rain/snow/sun from getting into the area). It can get to -20 degrees here so it is very cold sometimes.

Thanks.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You don't have to milk any goat, dairy or not. If you don't breed them, they won't produce milk. Only females need to be milked if you want to milk goats.

I would put something up over the walls to block out the wind. You could end up with some very sick goats if they are constantly in a draft.

Latest posts