Just got a new pregnant flemish question about behavior

djluster

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just got a pregant Flemish 2 day ago. the owners couldnt keep her since they will be moving soon, So i decided to take her. I am newer with rabbit I have been reading tons to learn everything I can. But she has been acting very territorial. She will snort and me anytime I am not petting her and trying to clear up her cage. if i am petting. is this normal. she is 2 years old and she is 8 or 9 days pregnant. I am just worried and what to know how you guys deal with this or have seen this. the owners said she is a very sweet girls so I don't know if it is all just because everything is new and pregnant or if there is more I should be worried about. i am also conserned if she is like this now how will she be after she has the babbies will it make it very hard for me to check on them.

flemish lops

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A lot of my rabbits are like that when they get pragnent. They are grumpy and dont like it when I try cleaning out there pens. When some of my rabbits have babies, some of them look as if they will jump at me if I try going by the babies. I just talk to the mother rabbit gently, while giving her a few gentle strokes on her head and give her a treat to chew on in the corner so I can quickly check the babies over. ( For the first few days I just check on the babies for a few seconds to see that there fine)
After a few day of this petting and treat rutine the mothers slowly get used to me poking around the babies and just ignore me.
Alot of my rabbits are sweet. When I breed them though some get cranky and some are fine. Your rabbit may also need some time to get used to the new home that she has. Being pragnent and in a new home can be a little frightning for her.