Just got BFLs - i hate them

Hufflesheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i don't know if it's the breeder i got them from or the breed. But Ive had nothing but health issues from day 1 with these animals. I bought three - 1 ram and 2 ewes to add to my SBF flock in mid June and it's been hell. Hoof issues, scours, one got scours this morning and dropped dead by end day. What in the living hell is this?!
This is completely new to me, my scottish blackface have been relatively healthy (knock on wood).

I'll have the vet out in the am to help me sort it out. But im furious

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like bad sheep. Even within decent breeds there are always lines that are weaker than others. If I were you, I'd send the rest of the BFL to auction ASAP and keep your BSF. Have you already integrated them or were the new ones quarantined? If they've already been together, keep an ewe on your original flock for issues. Good luck, it's no fun bringing in problems.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
....all BFLs should be sold with a shovel.
Yes....I'm sure this is true. They are a 'difficult' breed....huge, greedy, always sick, can't stand the cold/heat/wet/any day of the week with a 'y' in it. On the plus side, they usually have adorable personalities. They also look like this.
BFL.jpg

Not a sheep for the faint hearted!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes....I'm sure this is true. They are a 'difficult' breed....huge, greedy, always sick, can't stand the cold/heat/wet/any day of the week with a 'y' in it. On the plus side, they usually have adorable personalities. They also look like this.View attachment 76706

Someday I want some, but for now I’ll stick to my hardy Border Leicesters and Shetlands.

Hufflesheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes....I'm sure this is true. They are a 'difficult' breed....huge, greedy, always sick, can't stand the cold/heat/wet/any day of the week with a 'y' in it. On the plus side, they usually have adorable personalities. They also look like this.View attachment 76706

They are very sweet and adorable! I love their little high pitched bleats. My blackies are brutes and hardly ever bleat.. I'm wishing I got mature animals, I feel like they're extra fragile as little lambs? Or is this just them?

Hufflesheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the ram lamb. Don't mind his fleece! They got into some fallen burdock. I forgot to get one of the ewe lamb while I was out doing fencing. I'll grab that one later.

Crap, it didn't post😬

Attachments

• 20200816_112324.jpg
    20200816_112324.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 259

Latest posts