Just got our first rabbits today!!

Jayzandra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's hard to find even mixed breeds out here for less than $30 each, but these were $10 each. The guy was downsizing. I guess he ended up with too many litters and couldn't sell them, and they don't eat them. He also said they are probably bred because he didn't have enough space and the does were housed with two other bucks.
I have been told that I shouldn't use the buck, but until I can find a replacement, I'll use him.
These pics are from the ad. They had a bunch for sale, but I just watched the ad for a while because we've been wanting to get rabbits, but hadn't completely decided. Then there were only 3 left, 2 does and a buck. So We said what the hell! And went and grabbed them up.

California Doe.jpg
Silver Fox_Cali Doe.jpg
Lionhead Red Buck.jpg

Last edited:

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Beautiful buns!! Congrats!!
Why would they tell you not to use him?? I'm just wondering

Jayzandra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The people that sold them to me didn't say that. Other people on a facebook backyard meat rabbits page said he won't produce good meat offspring. I'm not really worried about it. These are beginner bunnies for us, and if it's something we would like to keep doing, we're going to transition over to just California and Rex.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well there ya go then. Grats on your fresh start!

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My favorite buck has a split penis and I was told not to use him.
Once again, congratulations and good luck!!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, there are two reasons not to use a buck with a split: 1) a badly split buck can't get the job done. He goes through all the motions, but the does don't get pregnant. 2) A split penis is a DQ on a show table, and the tendency toward it is inheritable. A buck with a split will most likely produce sons with splits, and some of them may be worse than he is - not something you want if you are trying to sell show or breeding stock.

But any rabbit is edible; small breed crosses just take longer to get big enough to make it worth your while. There will be some meat on any rabbit carcase; unless you are dealing with an anorexic rabbit (Babe reference), the fact that they aren't in the highest possible ratio of meat to waste probably won't matter a fig to someone who is breeding for home consumption. Congrats, and I wish you luck!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats!
I am a sucker after Cali's!

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nice looking rabbits! Wow. $30 for mixes? I got purebreds for less than that. The Cali doe looks like she will be a great dam of good meat rabbits. So does the Cali/Silver Fox mix. The buck looks fine; I don't know why anyone told you not to use him. Probably because of his breed(Lionheads are pretty small), but the does should compensate a little. You should get some pretty cool markings, too!