Just got some skinny goats

JenniferDuBay

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So I have bad news. When I went out to feed the girls this morning, the smaller one was down and wouldn't get up. Called the vet, but by the time he got here, she was dead. He said even if he'd gotten here there wasn't much he could do. In the last visit he said they had worms. I had given them their first treatment for that, but he said it was probably the worms that had killed her. I wasn't aware worms could kill, I'm used to dogs coming out of mom with worms, you treat em, and everything is fine. This is awful. I'm not even a week into owning goats and I lost one. I can't help but feel responsible. (I delayed getting the medication by a day because I was waiting to get paid, the vet bill was expensive.)

So my question is now, what do I do? I have to treat the other goat, obviously, but I know they're supposed to have a friend. Do I get another friend right away? Do I wait until she's done with the worm treatment? Should I not bring in another friend at all? And if I do get a friend, does it have to be another la mancha? My vet offered me a nigerian doe from his herd, I'm sure because I was sobbing. I'm not certain what to do in this case.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I have bad news. When I went out to feed the girls this morning, the smaller one was down and wouldn't get up. Called the vet, but by the time he got here, she was dead. He said even if he'd gotten here there wasn't much he could do. In the last visit he said they had worms. I had given them their first treatment for that, but he said it was probably the worms that had killed her. I wasn't aware worms could kill, I'm used to dogs coming out of mom with worms, you treat em, and everything is fine. This is awful. I'm not even a week into owning goats and I lost one. I can't help but feel responsible. (I delayed getting the medication by a day because I was waiting to get paid, the vet bill was expensive.)

So my question is now, what do I do? I have to treat the other goat, obviously, but I know they're supposed to have a friend. Do I get another friend right away? Do I wait until she's done with the worm treatment? Should I not bring in another friend at all? And if I do get a friend, does it have to be another la mancha? My vet offered me a nigerian doe from his herd, I'm sure because I was sobbing. I'm not certain what to do in this case.

Hey dont beat yourself up it happens as sad as it is. You only just got the goats your not responsible for the death your trying to help them out. I highly doubt you waiting one day to treat the doe made a big enough difference that she died. When they are that far along filled with worms there is never a good chance of success. Goats for sure can die from worms it just takes a long time usually. Go look at the other doe's eyelids and see what color they are, if they are white you might try some redcell before giving her the wormer treatment.

No goats do no need to be the same breed, similar size is good depending on temperament. Yes goats need a buddy but if she seems ok that her friend is gone i would hold off and just work on her health..introducing a new goat to a stressed sick goat can make things worse.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry you're having to deal with this first thing as a goat owner. There's nothing to feel guilty/responsible about! You didn't go and get these goats, they were thrust on you. You didn't allow the worm problem to get as bad as it did. The one day you waited I'm sure made no difference at the point they are at. The previous owner is solely responsible for the present situation. I agree with MM... no need to get a partner right now, I'd wait. Get the remaining doe through this first. (I hope she survives). :hugs

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. :hitYou can't beat yourself up over it, I know its hard but this isn't your fault :hugs You are doing everything you can to help these goats.

Yes, as you have learned worms can kill. Stress causes a parasite bloom, think of it like an explosion of worms within the goat. This is where you can see a goat go downhill very quickly.
I don't think delaying worming by a day is what killed your goat.

Both worms and cocci have been bad for many all over the country, its been a hard year for many folks :(

This is why having a fecal run is so important. You need to know what types of worms or cocci you are dealing with. De-wormer does not kill cocci and vice versa. Not all dewormers are created equal either, different dewormers kill different worms.

Do you know what wormer you were using and at what dosage?

Like the above posted said, I'd hold off on getting a buddy for now.

It probably is worms, but you may want to keep an eye out to make sure there aren't any toxic plants that are in their pen.
Was her belly bloated at all?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugs This is a tough way to start, so sorry. The worms can kill them but if they are heavily infested with worms the treatment can kill them too as they will bleed out inside as the worms detach. Most people use the injectable Ivermectin and give it orally and it kills off the worms quickly...to quickly. If a goat has a heavy worm load I would inject the wormer Sub-q as it will work more slowly that way.

Have you wormed the other doe?

JenniferDuBay

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey dont beat yourself up it happens as sad as it is. You only just got the goats your not responsible for the death your trying to help them out. I highly doubt you waiting one day to treat the doe made a big enough difference that she died. When they are that far along filled with worms there is never a good chance of success. Goats for sure can die from worms it just takes a long time usually. Go look at the other doe's eyelids and see what color they are, if they are white you might try some redcell before giving her the wormer treatment.

No goats do no need to be the same breed, similar size is good depending on temperament. Yes goats need a buddy but if she seems ok that her friend is gone i would hold off and just work on her health..introducing a new goat to a stressed sick goat can make things worse.

She has like pale pink eyelids. I'll get some today, we only have one car and the other half is at work. She's checking to see if they have any at her work, too.

This is why having a fecal run is so important. You need to know what types of worms or cocci you are dealing with. De-wormer does not kill cocci and vice versa. Not all dewormers are created equal either, different dewormers kill different worms.

Do you know what wormer you were using and at what dosage?

Like the above posted said, I'd hold off on getting a buddy for now.

It probably is worms, but you may want to keep an eye out to make sure there aren't any toxic plants that are in their pen.
Was her belly bloated at all?

Sorry for more silly questions, but what is a fecal run? My vet said to do safeguard at 1.5 mL. I know most of the plants in her pen, the only questionable one for a goat was poison ivy? I was mistakenly under the impression they wouldn't eat it if it was poisonous. And the original pen before I expanded was picked completely clean, so they've only had access to the new pen for 48ish hours, not that that makes a difference. I'm not certain if her belly is bloated. With such big rumins, how can you tell?

JenniferDuBay

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:hugs This is a tough way to start, so sorry. The worms can kill them but if they are heavily infested with worms the treatment can kill them too as they will bleed out inside as the worms detach. Most people use the injectable Ivermectin and give it orally and it kills off the worms quickly...to quickly. If a goat has a heavy worm load I would inject the wormer Sub-q as it will work more slowly that way.

Have you wormed the other doe?
My vet said to use safeguard at 1.5 mL, should I stop that and get the ivermectin? I hope to god that wasn't what killed the goat. She'd had one dose.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am so sorry about your goat:(

Just for the future, Florida is VERY deficient in Selenium, so BO-SE from the vet or a Selenium/Vitamin E paste from Tractor Supply would be good in the future. You may aso want to give Copper Bolus a couple of times a year. Manna Pro Minerals are what I get from Tractor Supply.

JenniferDuBay

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am so sorry about your goat:(

Just for the future, Florida is VERY deficient in Selenium, so BO-SE from the vet or a Selenium/Vitamin E paste from Tractor Supply would be good in the future. You may aso want to give Copper Bolus a couple of times a year. Manna Pro Minerals are what I get from Tractor Supply.

I have the manna pro minerals, but she's not touching them. I've tried giving her it a couple times, but she flat out refuses- is there something up with that? Should I make them more palatable some way?

And how often do I use the paste? Could you give me a breakdown of when you dose your animals?