Just got some skinny goats

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Petunia's pic. She is awfully small for a Lamancha... Is she still a kid (baby/youngun')? or possibly a mini Lamancha if an adult?

:fl everything works out.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
i would agree she does not look full grown, mini full grown Manchas i have seen have a thicker appearance of course iver never seen mine skinny so maybe thats the difference.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for more silly questions, but what is a fecal run? My vet said to do safeguard at 1.5 mL.

The dosage is completely incorrect and this class of dewormer needs to be given 3-5 days consecutively.

I am so sorry about your goat:(

Just for the future, Florida is VERY deficient in Selenium, so BO-SE from the vet or a Selenium/Vitamin E paste from Tractor Supply would be good in the future. You may aso want to give Copper Bolus a couple of times a year. Manna Pro Minerals are what I get from Tractor Supply.

Please be very careful with this. Toxicity mimics deficiency... too many throw stuff at the goat without any data. Just because an area is deficient doesn't mean you will need to give something several times a year. A very skilled herdswoman with many years experience lost 12 of her top does to copper toxicity. Because she was in a very deficient area she gave copper 2x year every year... in the end the necropsy showed HIGH copper. Again, don't just do cuz your neighbor does. We are NOT in a deficient area but I have HIGH iron and it binds the minerals... causing issues with copper.

Oh, a fecal run is where the goats poop is put into a solution that makes the worm eggs or coccidia rise to the top , then puts some of the solution under a slide and looks at it under a microscope. If there are too many eggs ( a little are okay), then you deworm for that particulate kind.

Here is a goat website that has helped me out a lot:

https://fiascofarm.com/goats/index.htm

Great site BUT if I remember it is a standard fecal not McMasters. There is a reason why every university uses this method.
I have several in depth articles on the Fecal method, and understanding the eyelid check (FAMACHA)
http://www.backyardherds.com/resources/understanding-famacha-fecal-analysis.56/

http://www.backyardherds.com/resources/the-mcmasters-method-fecal-analysis.55/

http://www.backyardherds.com/resources/mcmasters-method-fecal-analysis-part2.57/

Yes, a "normal" vet should be able to do a fecal run. Just don't trust their dewormer dosages.:)
This is not necessarily true.
I once did a consult the day after the vet was there. Vet said "goats cannot get tapeworm". The goat had severe tape, was pooping them out, slide covered in eggs... I showed the lady my vet book (actual veterinary parasites handbook from MY vet's library) .... :he

A note about REDCELL!
Be aware that is illegal to feed any ruminate protein back to a ruminate as part of the scrapie/BSE control program.

Blackstrap molasses is good for iron.

The goat is very small. I would suspect coccidiosis. That is why a fecal analysis is important. Dewormers won't work on cocci. I suspect the goats have both.

I am very sorry you lost the other one. Keep in mind even the best farms lose goats to cocci and parasites. Kids are highly susceptible.

JenniferDuBay

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Petunia's pic. She is awfully small for a Lamancha... Is she still a kid (baby/youngun')? or possibly a mini Lamancha if an adult?

:fl everything works out.

Well the neighbors had said they got her "not that long ago" and when I asked how old they were, they said under a year, she very well could be a baby still. I'm just not sure

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pictures ??? I had to click on the name Petunia...:hide DUH. So much for being an IT director.

BUT WAIT A MINUTE... DOES SHE HAVE EARS? In the picture it looks like I see ears. And they are WAY too big for LaMancha ears.

There is no way she is full grown. Tiny or not still not full grown, I would say about 4-6 months. Just a babe. Definitely get that fecal and check for cocci. Poor her and poor you. Is she friendly? Do you know if she was a bottle baby?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Figure that she was born in Jan. at the earliest since goats are typically seasonal breeders and that makes her 7 months at the most. There is no way she was born last spring and I am still guessing about 4 months

Does she have horns or scars where they might have been burned?

JenniferDuBay

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Please be very careful with this. Toxicity mimics deficiency... too many throw stuff at the goat without any data. Just because an area is deficient doesn't mean you will need to give something several times a year. A very skilled herdswoman with many years experience lost 12 of her top does to copper toxicity. Because she was in a very deficient area she gave copper 2x year every year... in the end the necropsy showed HIGH copper. Again, don't just do cuz your neighbor does. We are NOT in a deficient area but I have HIGH iron and it binds the minerals... causing issues with copper.

Great site BUT if I remember it is a standard fecal not McMasters. There is a reason why every university uses this method.
I have several in depth articles on the Fecal method, and understanding the eyelid check (FAMACHA)
http://www.backyardherds.com/resources/understanding-famacha-fecal-analysis.56/

http://www.backyardherds.com/resources/the-mcmasters-method-fecal-analysis.55/

http://www.backyardherds.com/resources/mcmasters-method-fecal-analysis-part2.57/

This is not necessarily true.
I once did a consult the day after the vet was there. Vet said "goats cannot get tapeworm". The goat had severe tape, was pooping them out, slide covered in eggs... I showed the lady my vet book (actual veterinary parasites handbook from MY vet's library) .... :he

A note about REDCELL!
Be aware that is illegal to feed any ruminate protein back to a ruminate as part of the scrapie/BSE control program.

Blackstrap molasses is good for iron.

The goat is very small. I would suspect coccidiosis. That is why a fecal analysis is important. Dewormers won't work on cocci. I suspect the goats have both.

I am very sorry you lost the other one. Keep in mind even the best farms lose goats to cocci and parasites. Kids are highly susceptible.

Okay- well, I don't know what 'be careful' with dosing means. How do I know what to do? When should I do it? And should I dose for cocci? What works on that?

JenniferDuBay

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Pictures ??? I had to click on the name Petunia...:hide DUH. So much for being an IT director.

BUT WAIT A MINUTE... DOES SHE HAVE EARS? In the picture it looks like I see ears. And they are WAY too big for LaMancha ears.

There is no way she is full grown. Tiny or not still not full grown, I would say about 4-6 months. Just a babe. Definitely get that fecal and check for cocci. Poor her and poor you. Is she friendly? Do you know if she was a bottle baby?

Yes, she has ears, they aren't big, I've seen regular ears, and they're tiny compared. Her sister didn't have any, though. At first I thought someone had cut them off until I looked up la manchas! Talk about a heart attack. I feel a little bump on her head where horns would be, probably the scars, so maybe dehorned? Not sure. And she is SUPER SUPER friendly. Like melts when you rub her head. She crawled up in my lap when I brought a chair in there today.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to find a good vet.
You shouldn't dose the goats with anything until you know what you are dealing with.

The other issue is almost EVERYTHING is off label for goats meaning legally you must be under veterinary care for most products used on goats.

A google search for livestock vets in your region should bring up several. Call and ask how much they do with goats... go from there.

Lamanchas are awesome. They are the cuddliest goats!