Just got the results of my first fecals.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
These goats have never been dewormed before so they don't have any resistance yet so I want to start with the one that will take care of everything before having to use the "bad boys" dewormer.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Worm the 3 with Safeguard for goats. Don't use horse paste. 1 cc per 10 lbs for 5 days.
That's what I would do. Then wait 10 days and run another fecal on those 3.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used ivermectin horse paste today. I split a 150 lb dose between Isabelle and Peanut and gave Jack a 150lb dose.

The problem with using products for horses is that goats metabolize differently. So, what is a dose for 150 lbs may not be correct.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Using a wormer that will not effectively kill the targeted worms can actually be counter intuitive. If they have never been wormed before, then some of them actually already have some resistance. Use what will kill the worms they have. No sense to give them something that they will not get any real benefit from. This is how resistance to wormers and other drugs build up. Using an "all-purpose" thing that doesn't do the job and then you get drug residue resistance. Ivermectin will not hit the barber pole worm effectively, so you are only causing them to have more resistance to other wormers.