Just Need a few Questions Answered

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Aww, thanks everyone!!

@outdoorhoney if I go out to give my chickens something or herd them up, one of my goats will walk to the gate and bleat at me until I come over to them. I'll usually sit with them and give them a small treat for coming to me. They will only bleat if they see me outside and they love each others company. They spend most of the day playing and sleeping together!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are making good progress with them. You can try peanuts too. Surprised that they don't like fruit loops but every goat is different. Mine love pumpkin seeds and cucumbers too.

The horse treats are from TSC. Molasses flavored, made by Dumor in a purple bag. I break them into little pieces and they love them but sometimes they are hesitant to try new things but once they do, oh my...Katie bar the door. :)

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@babsbag thanks! I will be going to TSC tomorrow to get them a new salt block and I will look for them!

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sometimes they get real friendly. This is the one that originally didn't want touched.

IMG_20160312_105045989.jpg

Goats spook very easily. I've seen my three all take off and run for shelter at what appeared to be nothing. Finally determined a fly spooked one and the rest followed. The life of a prey animal, I suppose.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You should see my herd of 40 make a hasty retreat back to the barn when my LGD runs by them on his way to the barn. They think if the LGD is running there must be trouble and they are hot on his heels.

@madelynmccabe The salt blocks can be really hard on goat teeth. I do use them on occasion but the loose goat minerals are really easier for them to consume. TSC has Manna Pro brand and maybe Purina. Get one that is specifically for goats.

Last edited:

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok @babsbag, thank you. I will look for a bag today. My goats seem to love this goat salt black that's flavored Berry Bush. It has minerals as well. So should I just not buy them the salt block and just buy minerals or should I get both?

@outdoorhoney thats very cute!! I hope my goats will do the same one day!:lol:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
i was told the same thing even by DH...we got a 75% boer/25% nubian cross from a lady we know for work DH did she was a year old when we got her and WILD wouldnt let you even get close not within 15ft of her. When we got her home we clipped her to a 25ft picket line and she lived on that line for 2 months, we moved the line each time she ran out of forage for the 2 months. Every single day i went out and spent time with her, first just sitting within reach of the picket line and watching her or playing with the grass. Eventually she would wander closer but if i moved at all dart away...after awhile she was ok with me moving my arms/hands...then she was ok with me leaning towards her, then touching her a tiny bit...and so on until at the end of the 2 months she would run up to me for attention or treats. Her name is Phoebe and she is one of my most favorite goats we own. i can now walk up to her or she walks up to me and i can pet her all over, check her hooves...she no longer even wears a collar. DH was rather amazed with her changes but still kept telling me as soon as she is off the line she will be wild again....its been almost 2yrs not wild yet lol.

Also ginger snap cookies....are my goats favorite favorite treat followed by blue buffalo banana and yogurt..dog treats lol.

Epona142

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, the blocks are little more than a toy to lick - they will never get enough of the minerals they need from a solid block. If they have no loose minerals, they may begin to bite and gnaw on it in an attempt to get more, indeed damaging their teeth. We generally keep a handful scattered about just for their entertainment, but the loose mineral is the way to go.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You'll get there, as will they. Just time, perseverance and patience (and lots of treats). Not sure if I'd want them jumping up on me like @chiques chicks pic... :hide Might be OK with the little dwarf goats... they're kinda like little lap dogs anyway :D =D