Just Need a few Questions Answered

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My goats tend to avoid poisonous plants like poke and holly (but I have no azalea).

My goats are by no means put off by azaleas. Decided one day to let the herd out, under supervision of course. So they ALL decided to run a long distance to the azaleas, of course. They all managed to get a few leaves, but were okay, despite my panic. I have a big bag of activated charcoal now...

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't do the underground or invisible fence. Its also going to take a good bit of training for them to realize where they will need to stay. If they get spooked there is still a good chance that they'll run through it.

If you decide to let them with your chickens remember to be sure that all chicken feed or scratch is far away from the goat! Goats love chicken food and will eat it until they die :rolleyes:

I think when we compared costs the actual hot-wire/electric was a better deal. Look online and at local feed stores and price the wire, T-posts etc. I like having 4-5 stands, you don't need to to be tall.
Look for the Patriot chargers, they are the best! I love that they can be hooked up AC or DC. We have this one, you don't need one as big (or expensive) as this one- HERE

Some goats are smart and know what plants they should and shouldn't eat, others aren't. I hope its not something I have to figure out!

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer Thanks! I will definitely look I tot he hot wire! Luckily there seem to be not poisonous plants in the place where they will be! It's the exact same field that the goats are in... Just a lot bigger

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They will also never ever be unsupervised while out!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine head right for the rhododendron. :mad:
Our doe is a rhododendron survivor. She got into them 2 days before we were going to pick them up. (We were also picking up her brother)

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Eek. Did she get really sick? How much did she eat?
I am not sure how much she ate. But her old owner was up all night trying to get her to eat charcoal, and other things. I know she was throwing up constantly along with her brother and half sister.

Latest posts