Just need to rant -gun happy hunters-

boothcreek

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry just need to rant.

Hunting season has been open since sept 1st. As of sept 20th there is also a open cow elk season til the 30th.

Well, with antlered game hunters are very diligent with ID'ing their prey, now with the antlerless season all bets are off. On sunday we found our Dun Dexter Bull had been shot on OUR OWN PASTURE! after investigating shots that sounded too close to be legal(we thought trespassing, not shot livestock AND trespassing). Sadly the hunter got way before we got there, so no ID on him of any sort.

Now how in heck do you mistake a evenly chocolate coloured dexter bull that stands 40 inches at the shoulders with a cow elk that is dark brown on the front, cream on the body, white rump and - oh ya - is as tall as a 14 hh horse and can get its head up past its shoulders........ and then shooting onto private property towards houses? They have gone mad!!!!

I am a hunter, love hunting, but that just peeves me to no end, thats not hunting.

On a happy note, Henry our bull will make it, the shot was a thru and thru, right behind the shoulders(going by the way he walks, it nicked the cartilage edge but not the bone), grazed one or both lungs since he had trouble breathing and sounded aweful for the first day. Amazingly the shot missed his spine, by its placement that was a real close one on that, maybe another inch or so higher(spine) or lower(lungs) and he would have been done for, and we do love our sweet little Henry.........

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am so sorry. My husband and son are hunters. And they always make sure they know what they are shooting. Those people are terrible. Hugs to you.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
WOW! So glad Henry is going to be okay! I worry about the goats being deep in the woods. Some joker sees horns through the trees and thinks "deer"...stupid is everywhere.

But a cow?????? at this rate whoever it was might just end up with a darwin's award. Let's hope the person gets it together!

:hugs for you and :hugs :hugs for Henry

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Oh my gosh!! That is awful. So glad he is okay. We live a small rural area and had two kids shoot and kill someone's horse-just for fun. They got busted though, were prosecuted, and I believe at least one did some time for it (not his first offense). People are sick.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is terrible!!!! Hope your bull makes a full recovery!

I worry at deer hunting season since our largest ewe is the same colour as a deer :/

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Oh, I am so sorry. The guy was probably just shooting to be shooting. There are some people who have NO respect.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
get some bright orange spray paint and spray the word COW on the sides of your cattle, HORSE on your horses and GOAT on your goats. maybe they can read, maybe they can't

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Wow. Isn't one of the fundamentals of shooting to fully identify and know what you are shooting at? If he had done that he would have seen that it was a cow and NOT fired. I can't stand that. Someone might say something about how he was not able to see the whole thing but if that were the case he should not have fired then either. ppft No sense. Crazy.

HankTheTank

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That sucks :/

We live right across from a gun club, so there's a lot of shooting going on year round. My sister (Ownedby3alpacas) has a dog the exact color of a whitetail, so if he ever gets out during hunting season...

Is there any way at all to find out who it was? Some people just shouldn't own guns

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that boothcreek. The farmer and I are both bow hunters and much like you, we love hunting. There really is no reason that anything other than the desired target should be shot. Unfortunately, most of us know of someone that hunts that shouldn't be allowed in the woods with a popsicle stick, never mind a gun. We too worry about our cows and dogs. (which look nothing like deer, elk, moose, etc) I am sorry that this happened, but am glad that Henry is going to heal and be fine. Animals are extremely resilliant.

Just a question; in your area, what is the law? Do you have to post No Tresspass signs or is it always tresspassing unless the hunter has written permission? It doesn't change a thing. Just curious.

Latest posts