Just need to rant -gun happy hunters-

Godsgrl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
bonbean01 said:
That is terrible!!!! Hope your bull makes a full recovery!

I worry at deer hunting season since our largest ewe is the same colour as a deer :/
You could always throw some spray paint on her, or tie a hunter safety orange jacket over her back. Just a thought.

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am so sorry your bull got shot. We are a family of hunters too - and this crap is what gives the responsible hunters a bad name.
When I was a kid we never were allowed to ride our horses during deer season (deer hunters are the WORST).
I now do dog sledding, and we do carting in the fall to condition the dogs. We wear blaze orange, and also put it on a couple of the dogs in the team.
I would seriously consider putting some blaze orange on your stock. The reflective dog collars hooked together might work for a cow or bull. I think they even sell them for horses and other stock, now that I think about it.:rolleyes:

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but you may have to put up more signs and maybe make a point of putting some motion detection cameras around where they can be seen (but not stollen...) I used to hunt a lot, but we never went around private property. I realize some places that would be hard to find. Good luck, I sure hope your bull is indeed ok.

I am jealous you have Dexters, that is what I want...

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you find the nearsighted hunter, please send him my way. If he can confuse a bull with an elk, I have a target for him--and it's polled!.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My dad had a mule shot and the guy swore it was an elk. Now we bring our animals up close during hunting season and locked up over night or when not home.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My mother had a holstein steer shot one hunting season. Now mind you he was BLACK AND WHITE AND 500 POUNDS. We always penned our animals up during hunting season too.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Lucky your bull is gonna be okay.
Some people just don't give a crap I think.