Just put in an offer for the land next door!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had hand tightened the fence on, but it looks like I can't finish it because the hay guy said he will line up 10 bales at the fence.
View attachment 22632

A quick and easy way to tighten the horizontal wires on that (or any) fence is some little gizmos called Jake's Fence Tighteners. You'll also need to make a one time expense of the tool to twist them with. You 'can' do it with a big phillips screwdriver, but lots easier and quicker with the tool.
Designed for barbed wire and HT but I have used them on field fence as well--just don't overtighten them.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
We bought a fence stretcher, metal pole w/handle and 3 hooks, but since the bales will be there, no point in permanently attaching that fence yet. But we'll use it for the other fencing.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like all the grass has been cut, not sure about the weeds, haven't walked out to the top of the hill to check. Will have to work on hacking out the weeds around the power/phone pole once the bales are made. Cleared the weeds off one of them right after we got the keys to the gate. Nov 8-12th the short section of fencing is scheduled to go up.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
:celebrate:weee
20161012_163711.jpg

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those 3 on the end where there's a gap from the end bale, they rolled off their pallets! =0 How dare they!! I tried to shove the first back, but it's a 2 person job. Hopefully, we can roll them back into place tomorrow so I can put up a shelter for them.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Ummm they rolled uphill off their pallets? wow! might keep them from rolling if they were stored in a relatively flat(er) spot... #justsayin ;) Grats on the bales of hay! I'm sure it's nice knowing you won't need to buy that now.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, that took a ton of effort!
We both sat on one bale and shoved with our legs to roll up each bale, used a 2x8 to prop it up while one of us hopped down to get a wedge ready to go under.
Then a 4th bale rolled off its pallet while we moved the 3rd, so had to fit it, too.
Will have to pound in a tpost at the 2nd to end at right so we can move that 1st one out of the way of the little pass through area I use for the mower and horse.
We both stopped and stared at the bales when we were done in unison and mentioned how big they are. For sure, thwy are larger than my older bales!
Also facing the wrong way to just give them a shove and have them roll down to the gate. We'll have to flip flop them flat end over round to move them, that's oddly easier than rolling them.