Just some pictures..New Beginnings 08/26/12 Pic Heavy

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey Southdown :). Yes and no on the chocolate eggs. I have 3 BCM hens. One has never layed an egg, one lays slightly darker eggs and one lays these. I don't think I'll be getting anymore of the BCM hens because they are the first to quit laying for winter and last to start up again, as well as the issues I related above. They are pretty sweet hens though
f4e73d02.jpg

Bon, the ewe on the right has been over a week. I've drastically cut the amount I'm feeding and our pastures are crispy so I'm hoping the next few days will show big improvement. I don't know on the amount of time it takes to wean for the lambs though. Just know I want the udder GONE before the lamb is back with mom :).

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
yup...me too...want the udders gone before putting them all back together again..just did not think it would take this long! Every other year the ewes have weaned the lambs themselves, but this year we're trying to do it "right"...plus we had our first set of twins this year and they are huge and were taking down the Mama and we want her in good condition before breeding...sigh...we were getting crispy pastures too...but today we got RAIN!!!!! woo hoo!!!! Hope you are too :)

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This is the ewe on the left in the original picture..... No progress. Today makes
One week for her.
7cbcf280.jpg

This is the right hand ewe in the original picture. I think I miscalculated in the previous post... It's ten days for her today. Good progress!! Yay :)
408ead7b.jpg

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I haven't been able to get good pictures, but both ewes are progressing really well as far as drying up. I'm s'posed to go get the ewe lamb tomorrow but I'm going to separate the two ewes from the flock before I do. I still want to restrict thier diets and sure don't want to put the lamb back with her mom yet. My friend who is keeping her thinks it only takes one week for a ewe to dry up and only two weeks to wean a lamb. I KNOW the first isn't true, lol and I doubt the second. I'll run the lamb with the flock till mom is shriveled up and pruney, ha!

Hope y'all have a great Saturday!

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I believe it takes 10 days for an ewe to dry up. We had to do it last year.

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sooo, the ewes are continuing to dry up. I haven't gotten the ewe lamb back yet, had some family medical issues over the weekend and things got a little off schedule. No worries though, she's in good hands. Here's her mom today, continuing to dry up well.

DSCN0793.jpg

The other ewe

DSCN0794.jpg

Remember the other ewe that I was hoping I was just freaking myself out over? Wellllll

DSCN0800.jpg

Looks like I can freak out for real now, lol :)

My pasture is truly fried at this point.... We got 1/10th of an inch yesterday, Whhooooppeeeee!

DSCN0791.jpg

DSCN0792.jpg

The only thing that seems to be thriving is....

DSCN0803.jpg

Here's the hen spa.....

DSCN0788.jpg

And the sweat shop, LOL..... They actually even have a strong fan blowing on them. That's why I have the nest boxes open part way.

DSCN0804.jpg

The Hubs just recently bought into a 2,500 acre deer lease so we went out there on Saturday.. The landowner has LOTS of goats and has just started building a dorper flock and a white dorper flock..... I like him already! Didn't see any of the sheep, but did see these. Don't really know whether they are sheep or goats but I think they are some kind of goat. They looked a little nasty and stinky though :( These were taken from a moving vehicle so sorry for the poor quality.

DSCN0783.jpg

DSCN0782.jpg

Some of the views are just spectacular :)

DSCN0786.jpg

DSCN0787.jpg

DSCN0775.jpg

DSCN0774.jpg

DSCN0777.jpg

And we even saw some deer!

DSCN0771.jpg

DSCN0769.jpg

DSCN0767.jpg

Oh, and By the way......Hubby doesn't deer hunt but does like to hunt dove and fish and just wanted a place to put our travel trailer that we could get away to for the weekend sometimes.

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks!!

I should have mentioned though that the poor little Gold Star hen came to me with a bare back :/ Poor thing was in with too many roosters. Her friend wasn't as bad and has filled back in okay, this one isn't going to fill back in until she molts. She looks awful but lays great.

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No probs ;)

Poor thing, get her a 'hen apron' or saddle, so that she'll b protected :) we have a bunch, but our roo is very nice :)