Just thinking out loud

Hopalong Causually

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Without question, I got into this rabbit raising hobby to grow some of my own meat and KNOW where it came from. What I didn't expect is the extent to which the dadburned things grow on you. I don't have a great deal of trouble butchering at the conclusion of grow-out time, but my breeders have been around for several years now and you get to know them individually. And, most surprisingly to me, THEY get to know You, too. My breeders immediately recognize my wife and I and just about beg for us to give them their daily treat of sunflower seeds and hay. My buck, in particular, desires to be petted and given his sunflower seeds so much that he'll grab the wire door with his teeth and pull on it before I can get the latch open. They'll follow us around the rabbit shed hugging the side of the cage nearest us. But if anybody else enters the shed, they cower in a corner and won't budge. Sometimes I wish they just weren't so much like pets.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I raise show bunnies... and you never think you'll have to cull your keepers...then you do and well you do what needs to be done. Just a part of raising animals. I keep thinking that someday we'll eat some of the rabbits. Wouldn't mind a good quality meat.

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I raise show bunnies... and you never think you'll have to cull your keepers...then you do and well you do what needs to be done. Just a part of raising animals. I keep thinking that someday we'll eat some of the rabbits. Wouldn't mind a good quality meat.
So, what do you do with your culls?

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@promiseacres Interesting about wildlife rescue. A breeder near me has a wolf dog rescue and that is where the majority of her culls go. I think that is why she got into rabbits, but she showed and had quite a few GCs in her lines also.

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
All of mine are pets, really. I tried to have them for show, but there are absolutely no shows where I live except for 4h showmanship contests. I sell any extras as pets or breeders. Rabbits completely have personalities. I have one buck who i swear is a dog. He loves being scratched behind the ear, and LIKES to be held :idunno.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a black Satin buck so spoiled that if I didn’t pet him first when I went in the rabbitry, he’d whirl around and pee spray on me. I moved him to the back.

Latest posts