Katahdin sheep shedding period, do they all shed at the same rate?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
eweinHiscare said:
hi all,
I am a novice sheep owner, with my starter flock of 4 pure Katahdin sheep.

I'm in NC where the summer can start early with very hot temps, along with the rather high humidity.

It got to 100 degrees here last June... that was hard on animals.

So I'd like to know what to expect for next Spring when my Katahdins will start to shed their woolly winter coats.

Are some slower than others for shedding? Yes.

Are there ever Katahdins that refuse to shed , or very late when they'd need help? It depends on their bloodlines, places on which to scrape off some wool, temperatures, general health, etc.

How delicate will they be for heat stress? They are a breed made just for hot climates...shouldn't be any problems as long as they have some shade and adequate water supplies.I have a tobacco barn with tall roof where the horses used to go when it was hot, it will be available for the sheep.

I'm asking because if there is anything else I will need to do, or can help them along it would be good to know now. Just good mineral supplements....I only use sea kelp meal and salt

I love my new sheepies !!

thanks!

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was reading a blog somewhere, don't remember exactly where. My husband and I have decided to go for Katahdin sheep instead of St. Croix. We have a better market for the katahdin. I was reading that shedding depends on how the hair coat is graded. There is AA, A, B, C, and C cannot be registered. The way I understood it was the highest graded shed the most.