Katahdin sheep still not eating.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She is an adult, healty katahdin sheep. About 5 years old. She came from a wonderful farm and was very well cared for. She was kinda chunky when I got her, but after a week and a half or so, she has lost quite a bit of weight. I never see her eat.

She is on one acre of nice grass with one other sheep. I leave timothy hay out for them both, but I was told they don't need it because of my nice acre of clean, green grass. (No pestisides on grass.)

I also offer her a cup of feed, but she wont touch it or the hay.

Is she just stressed from her move away from the only home she ever had? I can't think of anything else. (She is bonded now to the other sheep and loves the horses in the field.) The dog still makes her nervous I can tell, but the dog stays away from them. Does anyone have experience with Katahdin adult sheep?

My other sheep went through the same thing when I got her, but she snapped out of it sooner. (And now she is a down right, pushy hog!)

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Have you tried giving her a probiotic?
Hey, that is a great idea! Nope, I had not even thought to do that!! How stupid of me. When I ship my horses, I load them up on probiotics and electrolites before during and after.

I'm planning a trip to the feed store, do you recommend anything?

I am also going to section her off so I can closely monitor her. I do see her drink.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I love Probios. It comes in many forms for ease of dosing and is good for so many animals.

Probiosdirections.jpg

Here's the two forms we commonly use. One is a paste to dose directly and the other is a powder you can mix in their food or water.
Probiostypesweuse.jpg

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you! I've used those before too. O.k then I'm off to the feed store! :frow (I just love that cow!)

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you!
:frow
I got the powder version and put it in her water, she got stressed out being seperated, so I chose not to do it after all. She is still very spunky and has a nice twinkle in her eyes..hopefully these probiotics will help her tum tum while she adjusts.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't separate her then either. The less stress at this point the better. :)

You should see results in a day or two. If not, I would re-evaluate her and see what else might be going on.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
BBH, how about an update on your sheep that wasn't eating? I'd be interested to find out if the probios helped?