• Sell?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep?

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Y’all take a look at this. My sister gave me a picture for Christmas. I looked at it and said, “you are not going to believe this, but I have a ewe lamb with those same markings!”

I’ve been considering this ewe lamb, she is growing good, looks good, but comes from a wormy momma. Wormy mamma is on the cull list. The wormy momma is out of a ewe I never worm and a Dorper ram, whose get leaves a lot to be desired. And of course, the cutie ewe lamb in question is sired by Ringo, who was bred by Virginia Tech University in their parasite resistance program.

So I’ve been pondering if I want to keep her or not, and here comes this picture of her spitting image!

EB65B0E5-A25E-41CE-A8C7-286694803E52.jpeg

7F316791-FE45-48E3-BEC2-36D802E7B000.jpeg

Even down to the lopsided heart spot on her nose, reverse lopsided, but close enough. Picture is a wool sheep, ewe lamb is hair sheep. Squint eyes and you’ll see it. LOL

921E4292-89FC-41AF-A314-7887CC11D926.jpeg

Open for NAMES!

Shellymay

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi Bay, just wanted to say a few things, first very nice lamb and she looks nice and thick, also straight/correct in form as far as legs and such. Now I want to say and remind you of wanting to go to pure Katahdins, if you sell her that money you make can go towards the purchase of a nice Katahdin ewe lamb, also some folks don't want to breed her back to her sire which is Ringo, some folks don't mind doing this and not sure where you stand on that thought? But a new blood ewe can be bred to Ringo and by the time that all happens and you get more ewe lamb offspring from new Katahdins maybe by then you will have another ram unrelated to Ringo and can breed his kept daughter to another ram? This would be reasons for selling her...

On the other hand she does look like the picture your sis sent and that is way to much coincidence, if you keep you could breed to Ringo and send her lambs to slaughter or eat them because at that point you will not want to breed any kept daughters and breed them back to Ringo. Also if you pick a name and keep her you might pick a name that starts with the letter "R" that way you will always know that Ringo was her Sire and helps sometimes when keeping track if you are a believer in not breeding daughter back to sire, but you will need another ram if you are against breeding back to sire...Parasite tolerant is a plus in any flock and if you decide to keep both cross ewes and pure Katahdins in the future this girl might have just what you want to build a flock around in her genetics? This would be a reasons for keeping her....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Shellymay Right now I have 12 ewes. They will start lambing in February. Over half are on the cull list. I'm thinking that what they and their lambs, bring at sale, is not going to buy me a lot of registered ewes. So my next year's lamb crop will be greatly reduced in numbers. This little ewe looks fairly good and more than likely would bear twins for me to take to sale, thus a little jingle in my pocket. My criteria for her is parasites, twins, lamb growth and health. If she passes that, she can stay.

We started with 4 mixed Dorper/Katahdin ewes. I still have 3 of them, one is on the cull list. The other two stay until they die. They can become yard ornaments, although they can be a nuisance, getting on the porch and into the bird feeder, LOL. My mixed breeds have taught me well, now is time to move up into a registered flock. The culls are all pets, named and loved, but I have to let go to move forward. At the same time, I can't dump them all at auction. I want to keep some for a lamb crop until I can build up my registered flock. Culling the flock in an ongoing process. I agree on the father/daughter breeding. Lambs go to auction or slaughter.

I was on the fence on keeping this ewe or not, then that picture showed up. I posted this thread for the fun of it, we should have fun with what we do!

Latest posts