Keeping Bucks

Missmonty

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We are stuck between pygmies and nigerians but I think we are leaning more towards pygmy currently. I've tossed around the idea with down the road having more than one breed but for now it'll be one of the two. My original plan was to purchase early this spring just to make it easier on hay costs since we didn't buy any in the fall and hay is outrageously priced around here.

Although the more I have researched it seems we will be after the majority of the kidding season then so I wonder if it would be harder to find what we are looking for or not

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you're planning 4H and showing, you'll be wanting higher quality, papered animals. You should have been contacting registered breeders this past fall and deciding on what you want to place "hold deposits". You might be in a tough "take it or leave it" situation now as kidding season is upon us. I suggest you start making calls yesterday, or perhaps postpone on the long term plans another year, and just "make due" this year as a "learning experience".

Missmonty

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you're planning 4H and showing, you'll be wanting higher quality, papered animals. You should have been contacting registered breeders this past fall and deciding on what you want to place "hold deposits". You might be in a tough "take it or leave it" situation now as kidding season is upon us. I suggest you start making calls yesterday, or perhaps postpone on the long term plans another year, and just "make due" this year as a "learning experience".

I will start reaching out. My oldest is still a couple years off showing so I most certainly have time when it comes to that thankfully. I'll see what we can find and go from there. I most certainly wouldn't be opposed to a couple unregistered right now and go from there. I know last time I started planning for 4H it didn't end well for me financially. I got rabbits for my niece to show in 4H, invested in high quality show rabbits and ended up with a pretty decent sized breeding program so she would have good choices for her show animals. Well then she lost interest and had no desire to do it.

Good news with goats is I want them for me. So regardless if my kids do 4H with them I won't be up a creek if they decide to pick another path.

Missmonty

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Why are you leaning towards Pygmies?

Honest main reason is because I just like them. I have been around goats quite a bit in the past and I like them all but the pygmies were always my favorite. Then being a small size really helps since my kids are young.

I have been reaching out to a couple breeders just to put my feelers out and it sounds like a lot of the breeders hold their doelings a little while to determine if they want to keep them or not.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
it sounds like a lot of the breeders hold their doelings a little while to determine if they want to keep them or not.

:lol: We ALL hold them....it's to determine if we can "get by" with keeping them. :D It's called goat math! :lol: Be they registered or mutts. You will seeee…….all this time you've been waiting to buy -- that tells you how goats affect you -- love! :love

Just take your time and begin to visit breeder farms and see what fits your needs now. If you feel you will ever want to milk, well those pygmies are short. :cool::D But, adorable!

Missmonty

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:lol: We ALL hold them....it's to determine if we can "get by" with keeping them. :D It's called goat math! :lol: Be they registered or mutts. You will seeee…….all this time you've been waiting to buy -- that tells you how goats affect you -- love! :love

Just take your time and begin to visit breeder farms and see what fits your needs now. If you feel you will ever want to milk, well those pygmies are short. :cool::D But, adorable!

Currently, I do not have any desire to milk them. Down the road that could change and if it does I can add to the farm at that point. We are also going to look into moving to more land in the next 5 years or so, we just want to put a dent in our mortgage before we decide to make any big changes again.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pygmies also have the smallest teats! A thumb and maybe, just maybe two fingers.