1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Ear Tags - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping Bucks

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Goats' started by Missmonty, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Feb 1, 2019
    MiniSilkys

MiniSilkys Loving the herd life

2. Feb 1, 2019
    Missmonty

Missmonty Ridin' The Range

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  3. Feb 2, 2019
    MiniSilkys

MiniSilkys Loving the herd life

Thank you! I am in the process myself of deciding if I want to add another pygmy buck or get a Nigerian dwarf buck. My pygmies only give me a few colors. Nigerians have all sorts.

4. Feb 19, 2019
    Georgia Girl

Georgia Girl Exploring the pasture

I have 4 goats , 1 buck, 1wether, 2 female Saanens, I bought a young male and kept him in with the other 3 goats, I kept him in an anti-mating apron for awhile as I wanted my Saanens to be of age and weight before breeding, I keep them all together and they all get along fine, He is a very gentle male and even in rut he has no odor, he is disbudded. Both of my does are pregnant almost 3 months and i still have not removed him. I think bucks that are isolated are what makes them mean. I am 74 and have no problems with him. If he minds his manners, I will probably leave him with the does until they are about 4 months pregnant. I have only had goats for about 1 1/2 years, so just my way, and what seems to be working for me.