Keeping goats and sheep together?

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this since it pertains to both sheep and goats.

I only have goats right now. I'm considering getting a couple of sheep for the fleece, for personal use.

I know sheep are sensitive to copper, and goats need copper. I also have horses, so I would have to keep the sheep away from both the goat and horse feeds, free choice minerals and supplements.

I'm sure someone here has sheep and goats together. How difficult is it if you don't pasture them separately? I could divide a pasture, that is a possible solution, but I'd really like the whole herd to run together since I only have one LGD to watch over everyone.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have Jacob's Sheep in with our goats- only 2, for fleece. They are in with ND usually but right now they are in with some kiko's. The person we got them from has always had her sheep in with her dairy goats... for over 15 years she has done this (Jacobs).
I don't know if it is her lines or Jacobs in general but they do not have a copper storage issue which is usually the problem with sheep. We do nothing different ... they get the same high quality feed, loose minerals, pasture and woodlands. Actually the sheep get no feed from spring thru fall... feed only in winter. No issues.
We have no parasite issues either. Just saw a study on sheep and copper, and they are wondering if sheep shouldn't have SOME copper as it effects the parasite issues. I will see if I can find it.

I know this is't the norm though, perhaps if you have a way of putting up the minerals so only the goats can get to them. Unlike most sheep our sheep will jump and climb like the goats. :rolleyes:

Not very knowledgable with sheep stuff so hopefully others will chime in that have both. I'm a goatie thru and thru! :p

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
i keep sheep and goats together. i've only been doing so for about 4 months though. haven't had any issues yet. i purchased a sheep and goat mineral block and feed that to them. i don't give additional copper/minieral block. not saying this is the correct way to do it but my goats are all healthy and happy.

Ruus

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Jacobs are less sensitive to copper than other sheep, but I'm not sure if they can tolerate the levels goats need. Sheep should only be fed a loose mineral, not a mineral block, as mineral blocks will damage their teeth.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I'm considering Icelandic sheep right now. I still have a lot of research to do on the breed. I'll have to check my current mineral supplement and see if its safe for sheep, it might be? I never thought about it before!

Latest posts