Keeping Milk in Container

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello,

I work full time (leaving my home at 6:30AM and getting back home at 6:00AM). I'm debating on milking my doe 2x per day as opposed to 1x per day.

My normal process is milk late in the evening, strain into glass containers, pop into freezer for approx. 1 hour and when I can't feel any warmth, I put into the fridge for 3 days or however long it still smells ok for! LOL

Would it be possible to milk her into a stainless steel container, drive home and put it into a fridge and then strain it when I get home or does it need to be strained immediately?

If I have to do the whole process at once... I may just wind up donating that milk to my chickens to enjoy instead of doing the drive back home and going through all the work to save the milk before I head into work.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi, and congratulations on your first doe.

Personally, when I milk it goes through a filter before even going into the container. It takes a little longer perhaps but I don't feel any need to strain it after.

Also, I only milk once a day without any problems.

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How do you milk through a filter before it goes into the container (such as a bucket)?

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you look for Hoeggers Supply or Caprine Supply both have some options. Both have websites.

I just use a quart jar, a canning ring and the filter. I do have to get the angle right or I get milk in my face.

There is a forum about milking that you might search as well. I remember the subject coming up before.

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ah, I think I'll have to stay with what I have right now. I don't have the best aim on earth and in case she kicks, it makes it easier for me to just pick up the bucket and hold her leg.

We have power struggles sometimes...

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Please tell me you don't really work 23 1/2 hour days... :ep:th Did you mean return home at 6pm?

Hopefully she'll calm down over time as you both get used to a routine. Milking once a day should be more than adequate and she should adjust down to that production level fairly rapidly. You want to filter that milk ASAP and get it chilled ASAP. Any debris left to sit in the milk is going to add flavor (taint it). After I milk, I come to the house and filter it then get it in the fridge. I don't do the ice bucket/freezer/ice cream maker routine as I don't have the time/desire/patience to deal with all of that. I drink my milk raw, unpasteurized. I find that my milk does fine for up to 5 days with no issues of bad taste. After that I don't save it as by that point I have 5 days worth of fresher milk in the fridge as well.

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Please tell me you don't really work 23 1/2 hour days... :ep:th Did you mean return home at 6pm?
LOL!!! That would be AWFUL! No, get home at 6PM, work in my barn until 9PM then head straight for dinner and bed.

I tried the milk last night and it tasted perfect. I think drinking it a few hours after milking MAY have given me that off flavor. I'll be sure to let it rest a bit from now on! LOL! The things I have already learned! Thank you!

Latest posts