Keeping our pony with our cows and goats

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We got our daughters a mini shetland mare for Christmas. What I'm wondering is if it's okay to pasture her with our cows and goats? Are the goat/cow mineral blocks okay for horses? I feed our goats loose minerals but can put them up high where only the goats can get to them. I have her in quarantine right now but wanted to get some opinions from ya'll before I let her out. TIA

dreamriver

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
every situation is unique as is each species and individual. Do your cows and goats have horns? It just increases the potential for real harm if someone decides to get bossy. I keep an 18hh Percheron stallion with my goats and they get along fabulously. I could only advise that you closely supervise and be ready to make different arrangements at ANY time, 5 minutes later, 6 months later,10 years later.....

In general animals will first associate with the same species, then within the species with other animals of the same color. Has the pony ever been around cattle/goats? if not it may be terrified of them.

ok, so short story made really long (sorry) it's worth a try but watch all animals for signs of fear, gradually get them all used to each other, then supervise

good luck

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
most cattle blocks are NOT okay for horses.would read the tags very closely. might poision the mini. also, mini's don't need much grain,actually none, but they think they need it ALL, and right now. i would feed her alfalfa pellets as her goodies, and watch the waist line. if you can feed seperatly, then turn out together, that might work out. just keep observing them and see how it plays out.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Similar to Dreamriver, I have 2 draft horses that live with goats and sheep. When I brought the drafts home, they first were in fields that were on either side of the driveway. After a few days, the goats were in a small enclosure where the horses and goats shared the same fence, mind you it has electric wire around the top. Few days later, horses were in their stalls and goats were in the yard. This was the first time, the goats and horses could actually touch. Once that was all good, they were released into a field were there was plenty of room to get away from each other.

Today, it is not uncommon to find 4 goats, 2 sheep sharing a 12X12 stall with both drafts. Letting another stall empty as well as the goat house. But if they are happy then ok.

My goats and sheep were are already comfortable with horses, so it was the horses that were new.

In your case, you are introducing a pony. Just be reall careful the first time they can touch. I had a neighbor whose had a 150 whether killed by a pony stallion.

As for the feed question, I would check with your feed store or read the labels.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll. I let the goats run around in the pasture with her while I was out there and she was being a big turd. The next day I let one of our big calves in with her and she ran away like crazy. It'll be a slow process I'm sure. My biggest worry was the minerals though.