Keeping water barrels ice free

DaFlockinLeader

Just born
Reaction score
I have 55 gallon blue drums as waters for my pigs with hog nipples at the bottom attached. Any ides on how to keep the drum insulated and keeping it from being frozen?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Where are you located and what are the lowest temps you typically encounter (& for how long a period?)?

Mikethepigman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. In the barn I put a water heater in the barrel, works 99% of the time. However this year I have some outside... Too far for power..be interested in what other folks do.

DaFlockinLeader

Just born
Reaction score
NW Pennsylvania so at times it can get down to zero degrees. And the top of the barrel water will freeze about 4 inches in. And the nipple will freeze up so they can't get any water

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Got an idea aint tried it get an electric water heater take out drain in bottom not relief on top install a hog nipple in its place wire it up turn top element off and bottom.element down low it's already insulated and set up to keep water warm

DaFlockinLeader

Just born
Reaction score
These are the drums that I'm working with I know the ones you are mentioning but these are what I have just solid all the way around. I have to saw the tops off of them to use them so in other words it's a giant big blue cup and I drilled and threaded a hog nipple into the side towards the bottom of it.

Attachments

• 2016-12-16-13-01-42--213034276.jpeg
    2016-12-16-13-01-42--213034276.jpeg
    3.1 KB · Views: 154

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is a huge problem for us on our farm and our cattle drink a ton of water. We really have two options. Put the water lines inside of hose/pipe and run heat trace around the entire thing and then put a heater inside of the water barrel. Either that or take an axe out every day, break up the water and then fill the barrel back up with hot water. Unfortunately that's what we do!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you have power available but there are submersible heaters specifically designed for troughs and such. TSC carries some and I'm sure you can find them online as well. I'm sure most farm supply stores should also. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/trough heater Just a start...

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Look at some grit or mother earth news articles one of them had a design for a fuel her to hang in the side of a tank

Latest posts