Keeping weight on horse, possibly new horse feed? Suggestions?

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You may also want to check on the de-worming schedule. That may need to be adjusted or increased. Taking a fecal sample to your vet will determine if there are any problems with worms that could be causing weight loss.

Teeth also.....make sure his teeth are healthy and don't need to be floated or have any abscesses, broken areas, etc that would make chewing difficult or uncomfortable.

gretchenann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would agree with worming and teeth floating- I have a 5 year old mare that just by reason of her temperment alone has a harder time keeping weight on- I check the teeth, worm her regularly (and switch out types of wormer)- and also feed her Purina Healthy Edge, 14% sweet, and Empower Rice Bran Pellets- morning and evening- this keeps her where I want her without making her hot- talk to your vet before drastically changing your horses diet though- :rolleyes:

floridaGirl13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If someone else has already said this I apologize for repeating but we feed soaked beet pulp to gain and maintain weight, it also helps keep them hydrated. Its cost efficient and the horses love it! Also milled flax seed which is rich in omegas so their coat looks wonderful!

floridaGirl13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Also, we feed our minis Purina mini horse & pony. They haven't had any problems with it, we also give them a little corn oil with it. Strategy is good feed. We use strategy healthy edge with amplify. Its done well with our QH as well as a Irish draught mix.

taylorm17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 2 horses that don't gain weight and are very hard to keep weight on. I keep them both on round bales all day everyday. Use a grain with molasses. Feed alfalfa pellets or cubes daily make sure you water cubes down). Also make sure they get GOOD quality pasture as often as possible. What I do is when I clean their stalls I just let them go or put them in the pasture for 20 minutes. As long as you can. Also if you can't give them a round bale, give them 3 flakes of hay a.m and p.m again quality. Make sure the grain doesn't just give energy they need fat. Sweet feed normally doesn't work for me. You may also want to feed them 3 times a day with 3 flakes of hay each time and a 'scoop' of grain ONLY with sweet feed. Any other type of feed will probably give them too much energy and make them uncontrollable. Thanks for reading and I hope this helps.

Latest posts